MX5 seats - speakers in the headrest ?

Graze

My pleasure. I'm not sure how much different the Mk3 seats are, but I think they have a more rectangular shape which may foul the B pillar at the top. The Mk2 seats are fairly snug fit.

Let us know how you get on, as I quite like the Mk3 seats.

Cheers,

If I have to do it again I would definitely drill out all captive nuts and replace them with larger bolts, nylock nuts and very large washers. Those floorboards are as good as lasagna pasta sheets...

Stef,

I agree the floor pan is made from cheese. However those captive nut and bolts were only ever fitted to stop the seats from sliding around, which they have been doing for the last 50 years. In the MX5 those mounts would have carry the load of the seatbelt forces in an accident. Not something we need to worry about. Also, I would not want to alter the car irreversibly. Interestingly, some of the captive nuts are hidden by the chassis on my car.

Cheers,

Interestingly, some of the captive nuts are hidden by the chassis on my car.

On mine too. So I mounted the MX5 seat brackets (TR Register style ones) on studs in the floor which makes getting them back in a piece of cake and no risk of fouling the chassis (although I think there are holes in the chassis to allow the seat mounting bolts to pass through). You do have to mind yourself on them whilst working in the car though but I tape walking stick ferrules over the studs if I'm going to be in there for any length of time.

• 5 months later...

Ola, I have just collected the seats from the upholstery shop and wanted to share a two-tone experience. Discussing with my guy we agreed that this would be the way to go since the back light and roof trims are black and the reclining mechanism plastic cover would blend nicely with black trim. All in all I had to give him carte blanche - an artist so a bit of a diva - and I'm pretty happy with the result apart for the wrinkles on the upper part of the backrest. To be fair, he did warn me that they could show if I insisted to get that part in one piece so I'd be ill advised to complain afterwards.

seat1_zpsc27c878e.jpg

seat5_zps3aec8892.jpg

seat2_zps2f91f529.jpg

seat6_zps17fee9ed.jpg

Edited by Geko