ewan221,

Yes you can do it at most Post Office which you can buy your road Tax from. This last for 12 Months and you should get a reminder. Buying your new Road Tax, you do not have to fill in the old form anymore just have your Current Insurance, MOT and V5. This all done by the DVLA computer system.

Hope this helps

Jim Johnson

Now the DVLA knows EXACTLY the time and date you pay your duty using computer networking & bar code readers, I wonder who will be the first poor soul to get knobbled taking their vehicle to the post office to register it?

Dave ???

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffremj

Now the DVLA knows EXACTLY the time and date you pay your duty using computer networking & bar code readers, I wonder who will be the first poor soul to get knobbled taking their vehicle to the post office to register it?

Me, sort of......

I brought my car back on the road for the summer after buying a new tax disc. The first time I used the car I got stopped by the Police as their ANPR system said I had no tax. Be warned, there is a dead time between the tax disc being bought and displayed and that information getting into the Police databases. It will probably be worse over a Bank Holiday!

Guest BLBoy
On a similar subject I got "overcharged" for my TD at the Post Office, this was at the end of March after the budget. The chap told me it had gone up £5 which I wasn't sure was true or not so paid. Anyway since checking up the increase was only for cars taxed April onward which mine was for March. So, DVLA contacted and they give us a new disc and should send me my £5 back soon. I just wonder how many other people were overcharged?
I was also stopped for not having a tax disc, it was on the M1 on the way to the International. Iwas in the middle lane only doing 70 as I had seen the police car, I thought they were pulling me for speeding, they just said the car had no tax even though it was plain to see on the windscreen, I had taxed it that morning. The officer did say that I could catch the other cars, I wonder what would have happened if I quoted them if I had been stopped for speeding.
I think we are likely to see more and more of this happening as the police forces make more and more use of their in car registration recognition kit. I was stopped recently by the police on my way into a motorway serivces in my "other car." I had, had the car about a month at the time and they insisted that as far as their system was concerned it was not registered to anyone. Odd thing was that I had, had a registration document in my name for about two weeks when they stopped me. Until this time I had believed the police had a link to the live DVLA databases but it seems not. They rely on old data and the motorist is going to end up getting, shall we say, inconvenienced because of it.