Drum not sitting flat on hub - Help!

I bought a reconditioned Hub from Moss. Fitted it last night. Sat the drum on it (brake shoes not installed) to pull the wheel studs through but it wouldn't sit flat/flush. Rotated it on the studs and it still rocked slightly on the same point. I double checked the drum on the removed hub and it sat flat rotated it 90 degrees and tried it again and it sat flat in all positions.

I lay a square edge across the hub flange and there was a very slight raise around the holes that allow access to the attachment nuts. I slept on it last night and this morning I decided to run a flat file across them both until they were flat ( not much filing was needed at all) and installed the drum. It still rocks.

The flange is completely flat across the studs. There are no raised bits on the face of the flange. I cleaned the inside face of the drum. At a quick glance it seems that where the flat face of the hub flange transitions to the raised part of the flange below the nut, there is a slightly different profile to the removed hub. When i sit the drum on the removed hub, the face of the drum sits below the machined lip on the centre of the hub. When I put the drum on the reconditioned hub, it sits proud, so I am wondering if the hole on the centre of the drum is catching on the centre raised part of the hub.

I had to leave it at that as i had to get to work, and I will check with a feeling gauge or some plasticine/blue tak late, but in the interim to avoid my head being wrecked for the day, has anyone come across a similar problem where a drum wont sit flush on a hub?

Original hub is flat/ square in all direction. Drum is flat. Reconditioned hub face is flat in all directions. Rocking of the drum happens in the same position (across the axis running from one large hole to the other) when rotating the drum position on the hub.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Padraig

Hi Padraig,

there is always a concern when dismantling these hubs for overhaul that the hub flange can distort.

Don't do anymore filing until you come to an answer. The hubs may need to go back to the supplier.

If the hub proves to be flat but is fouling the drum at the centre then a quick skim of the drum on a lathe may be called for.

Roger

Make sure the hole in the drum is clean, even a layer of paint will stop it seating fully. I like to place the drum on the hub, push it home, give it a tap with a rubber mallet, tighten the two countersunk screws then give it another tap with the mallet. I can usually get another fraction of a turn on the screws. If it still rocks either something isn't flat for something is interfering.

Stan

Make sure the hole in the drum is clean, even a layer of paint will stop it seating fully. I like to place the drum on the hub, push it home, give it a tap with a rubber mallet, tighten the two countersunk screws then give it another tap with the mallet. I can usually get another fraction of a turn on the screws. If it still rocks either something isn't flat for something is interfering.

Stan

+1 and use copper slip

Edited this post as I had thought the flange was warped but now after spending an hour in the garage faffing around with it, I'm back to thinking it is the hole in the drum isn't sitting over the hub properly....

This is wrecking my head.

I put grease on the flange face and put the drum on. When I took it off it had only squashed the grease at one section. No idea why it's not sitting flush - nothing obvious stopping it.

Edited by Ghianightmare

Swapped drums side to side and the problem stayed with the hub. Moss are shipping a replacement and not charging for the shipping which I very much appreciate. No quibble with sending a replacement. No questioning my opinion or that the hub was the problem.

Good customer service.

Will update on receipt of drum