Misfire/poor performance at low revs

Hi All

Well, after three years of work and other distractions, I got the '5' back on the road a couple of weeks ago. Along the way your help was invaluable in term sof brakes, rear suspension, drive shafts etc, so many thanks for that. It was off the road longer than anticipated, so, whilst it is now running well, it is not running 'properly'. There is a misfire/popping/degraded performance as you accelerate up through the rev range, until above 2000rpm when the misfire clears and it pulls well.

Prior to putting back on the road, all the ignition components were tested, and replaced where neccessary, including coil, distributor cap, plugs, points, leads. Timing was checked and found to be OK. Compression tested and found to be excellent. Injectors tested and OK (two replaced). Plugs are a healthy brown colour after running. An old Colortune seems to indicate mixture is OK, however fuel consumption is excessive.

My next semi educated guess is that the problem may be related to over fuelling at low revs - this could be why everything smooths out at higher revs when there is more demand. Can anyone confirm whether this sounds reasonable and suggest how I check this - I have no experience of messing around with metering units etc and am somewhat uncertain about diving in!

All other thoughts welcome - I am running out of ideas

Many thanks in anticipation

Afternoon.

The MU is a bit of a black art, but there are some basics to check!

Firstly is the enrichment lever returning fully then the 'choke' knob is pushed in?

Secondly is the vacuum hose to the MU in good condition?

After this refer to and 'expert' :-)

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

Well, I have had and still have those symptoms, in varying degrees when decelarating, for a number of years now and having addressed all the standard problem areas it remains a mistry.

There is however one more change I will be making, replacing the harmonic damper with a new alloy one ,http://www.damperdudes.net//product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=218&osCsid=c667ff17acbd6d618c4036c8f140b78e , to see if that cures the momemtary spark scatter I see with a strobe light.

What is your harmonic damper condtion?

Stan

Ps. See also thread http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/46104-about-crankshaft-dampers/

Edited by smizgals

Steve has covered the first things to check.

You've checked the full centrifugal advance curve, not just static timing?

High-overlap camshaft? Or does it tickover smoothlyat ca 700rpm or so?

Is the popping misfire only at wide open throttle or at less than wot also?

Are butterflies synchronised? Have the butterfly rims and seating in manifold been cleaned of carbon ( should not be!) ?

Stale fuel?