Dribbling injector

FIXED 1-May-2002. - see below

New problem for the forum to offer advice on ....

I've been running the 5 for a few weeks with the occassional problem coming up - some of which is due to lack of use I'm sure. The latest of these is that after some very smooth running, the engine has developed a misfire, which only marginally dissappears at high revs and low load. :(

As per Bentley, I've checked all the injector pipes, and noticed number 5 was very weak pulsing, and when I pulled the injector out, it was not emitting a spray at all. Tapping it, I got a dribble, but again this stopped. No. 6 injector is spraying nicely.

Could this be simply a faulty injector? I had them serviced only last year. How do I clear a blockage?

How do I check that this is not caused by the MU non-return valve? No. 5 is the most inaccessible union! The MU is only 3 years old as well, so this should not be the case.

Thanks,

Piers. (learning all the time!!! )

Not sure if this is covered by Jon's comment, but while you're about it, replace the seal which sits in the MU, which the non return valve seats into. I know it as a barrel seal (looks like a barrel), but I guess it's just another kind of 'O' ring. The seal with these is marginal at best, and even three years' service may be enough to leave a permanent distortion, causing a poor seal on reassembly.

If this seal fails, you get the opposite of what you're experiencing - a constant flow from the injector, with no pulsing!

JohnC

Could this be simply a faulty injector? I had them serviced only last year. How do I clear a blockage?

Clearing the blockage is relatively easy.

Put an air bed adapter into a foot pump & insert this into your injector. (you may have to trim the tip off the adapter to enable it to seal inside the injector) A few stomps on the pump should blow the debris out. (which as Jon states is almost certainly from the banjo o-rings.)

It was a blocked injector as suggested.

I cleared this by removing the injector, and while the engine was ticking over, gently pulling the nozzle with a pair of pliers. Whatever the blockage was (bits of banjo seal!! ) shot out and the injector was merrily spraying away.

Probably not the most high tech of fixes ...

:)