Just when you think you have fixed all the POs stuff ups you find one you have missed.

The beast came with a high torque starter which every now and then will not engage with the ring gear and allways at the most inconvenient time. Now this has been a subject on the Forum a few times and i have asked Peejay how they fixed his which had the same problem.

Well i figured the ring gear needed to have a chamfer on the front of the teeth to guide the starter pinion into the gear. I had to take the gearbox out last week to fix a problem with the overdrive so i thought i will take the flywheel off and grind a chamfer on each tooth. When i got it off what did i find?the PO had taken the ring gear off and turned it arround so the original chamfer was facing the front. The problem with that is the chamfer is on the bottom of the tooth when it needs to be on the top so i put it back the way it should be and ground every tooth. Now when i push the plonker it sounds like it wants to engage every time and i'm happy :)

Has any one else had this engaging problem?

Graham

I thought you were going to say that a 10 tooth starter was fitted instead of a 9 tooth (or is it the other way round?) I know the bolt on ring gear

needs one sort, & the shrink on gear needs the other.

When I refitted my flywheel, after drilling it to take a GT6 diaphram clutch, I put it on 90° round(there are two dowel holes which allow you to do this).

Thus I now use the unworn part of my (shrink on) ring gear. I still have a bomb starter, but so far so good !

Bob.