Noise Checks before Castle Combe

Alan is correct Castle Combe certainly used to be one of the few UK circuits that operated a drive-by noise test as opposed to a static test.

I remember a TR Register race at Castle Combe in the late 1980's. Pete Cox had qualified his modified TR4 on the front row but had fallen foul of the drive-by noise test and was required to rectify it for the race. He went to Merlin and purchased a Supertrap. It zapped the power so much that he spent the entire race dicing with the leader of the Roadsports class in the lower midfield!. He was not happy.

The benefit of the static test is that when you roll up to be tested the scrutineer will ask you what maximum revs you use. This is where you can be a little liberal with the truth! I have a particular noisy spot at 4500rpm on my TR5 so try and avoid that point especially if I have my noisy silencer on the car. If I have my quieter silencer on there is never a problem.

Mike

Sounds about right, the 4.5k on my exhaust is pretty noisy. Does help having the car reall warmed up before these tests though.

I am sure my current exhaust would spark off the Combe drive by sensors (some other places do have them now - Brands I believe, but not had an issue there but could be set to a higher limit?).

Going to get a small box fitted into my system somewhere soon as going to Holland where they have very strict drive by limits. Will take out for most OK track, but pop back in for Combe visits! I like the noise! also more likley to get these issues with a 6 than a 4 as they usually get revved harder.