Front suspension - rubber collars

Hi all

Advice would be appreciated

Reading recent threads on assembly of the front suspension got me thinking about eventual replacement of the rubber collars at the top and bottom of the coil spring with polyurethane ones. My rubber ones were fitted by the PO 10 years ago ( 7000miles) and I can see a few cracks in the edges of the lower ones.

Probably a few years left in them but would like to know

- How do you know when it is time to replace these? Just wait for metallic noises indicating they have completely perished?

- Does it make sense to replace the shock absorbers at the same time with something other than the standard ones e.g. Spax. The car is used for normal road use?

This is something I have never attempted and would just like to be prepared

thanks

Steve

My guess is that you probably won't know when they are worn to the point of needing to be replaced. More likely the various bushes on the wishbones will wear out first, and when you replace those, that would be the time to replace everything rubbery or plasticy !

Regarding shockers - they are fairly easy to change anyway, so I would leave them if they seem OK.

I put my old shockers back in after a body off re-build last year, cos there appeared to be nothing wrong with them. Subsequent road use has confirmed that they are working just fine. It may be a different story if you wish to "push the limits" but for normal road use the standard ones are OK.

Bob.

Keep a close watch if the spring collars were repro - rubber quality can be iffy. Likewise with ball joint boots, upper inner rubber bushes and the lower inner rubber band weather seals.

Best to replace the upper inners with black poly bushes that come with a sachet of white grease to lube the pins. Two piece bushes can be fitted without taking the coil springs out, but not one piece bushes.

Viv

Hi Viv

Thanks for that.

Difficult to know whats repro and whats not. I suspect most of the items are good quality, the ball joint boots for example, however the weather bands are not so good and I am keeping an eye on those.

Advice on the one/two piece bushes noted.

There are no squeaks or bangs at the moments and the car drives really well. What are the first signs of the suspension bushes failing?

Thanks again

Steve