Halda Tripmaster. When did the Works start using them?

Does anyone know when Standard Triumph started using the Tripmaster? I can see plenty of Speedpilots in the TR3a's of 1958 but have not seen a Tripmaster....probably being blind. As Bill has already commented Gatso had 2 Speedpilots, but again I I don’t see any Tripmasters in these period photos.

I did find one reference that Tripmasters were not marketed in the USA till 1964. Plus the Speedpilots in the previous photos I mentioned look like Mk II or III 's in 1958/9. I've just bought a Mk IV Speedpilot and scratching my head how to mount it and calibrate it.

Sadly it's hard to find good cockpit photos of competition cars perhaps Graham Robson will remedy that in his forthcoming new book.

Bill G@ NB

Hi Bill

just found this web reference which would concur with you that the tripmaster was launched in 64 or thereabouts.

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?39804-Rally-instruments.

I have a very good photo of the dash of VRW219, Soisbaults car for the Monte Carlo Rally. Unfortunately it has been sent to me by another Works car owner for my use only.........I am trying to find out who has the original to get a legitimate copy, it is possibly LAT.

The photo clearly shows a Speedpilot Mark 3 mounted on the transmission tunnel between the seats.

Other points of note are the 24 hour and time of journey RAF clocks (pair) mounted upside down in the glove box aperture.

Also a device wrapped in foam mounted just above the grab handle on the passenger side..........part of the casing in visible, looks to have a crackle type finnish, also appears to have two knobs or buttons on the top! Very mysterious and clearly being hidden from prying eyes at the post Rally concours in Monte Carlo where the phot was taken.

This photo also shows that glimpse of lap strap webbing!

When I find the source of the photo of course I will let you know.

Hi Iain, I have a copy of that photo I think and the object up on the dash in mine is the back of another Speedpilot pointing at the driver so he can see how his average speed is fairing without asking the navigator who could be napping or working out map refs etc.

The one on the tunnel is for sole use by the navigator?

The Mig 25 clock I've just obtained from EBay for £100 is a Russian carbon copy of that Jaeger LeCoultre RAF time of trip clock. Busy making another panel to replace the glovebox lid to hold this clock and the the Speedpilot.

I'm hoping all these clocks ticking will mask the usual gear lever buzz!!

Regards

Bill G@ NB

Hi Iain

post-8563-0-72782400-1392508708_thumb.jpgpost-8563-0-26327200-1392508755_thumb.jpg

One pic of the Mig clock in my TR3A, though this

Is not the final configuration.

Other pic of a TR4 with two Mig clocks

Regards

Bill

Ps I will move the radio under the dash and make

A new panel with the Speedpilot on the right and the clock on

The left. Running out of dash space

Regards

Bill G @ NB

post-8563-0-72782400-1392508708_thumb.jpg

post-8563-0-26327200-1392508755_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the delay in replying - Dorset storms didn't help !

The answer to the original question is that the factory did not start using the Tripmaster (or the Twinmaster which accompanied it) until the mid-1960s, simply because it did not exist before then. It follows that the Tripmaster was not used on a 'works' TR of the 1950s or 1960s, certainly not on the TR4s for which I was responsible. Memory, and pictures, also confirm that they were not used on the Spitfires or the 2000s either ....

In any case, works teams tended not to use Speedmasters intensively either (a) because they relied on the speedometer cable for their accuracy, which meant that on events where a lot of wheelspin took place they were a waste of time, or (secondly) because the additional strain on the speedometer drive meant more breakages, and that could be a considerable embarrassment ....

Hon. Pres.

Edited by Graham Robson

Hi Graham

Ethan's the Works teams din not always use Speedpilots on TR3/3A's but Gatso was always looking for an edge and some of his works cars had an extra odometer worked off of a front wheel hub via a long external speedo cable, plus he also commissioned/ designed his own gadget to combine a timer and odometer.

It's an area that's worthy of further research. Remarkably there are about a dozen variations on Halda type gear, many from the USA /Japan which until recently I had not heard about, but mostly these are 60s 70s fitments.

Regards

Bill G@ NB

Thanks for the answers guys and neat photo of the Russian clock.

As Bill says its an area worthy of research particulary with the gear being so sort after.

New book Graham? The History of Rally Gadgets.