Give me a clue?

Bah!  The replacement engine is in my 2L FHC now but I can't get the damn thing to start.  I've got a spark and there's fuel in the carbs.  Done the static timing & charged the battery.  Turns over but nothing - not trying to fire at all.

So what did I do wrong??

Malcolm.

Try fitting the plug leads as if the dizzy is 180 out, although not strictly cosher the engine should run ok, I ran one for ages cos I couldnt be ar$ed to take it out again, you could also have a duff coil, poor connection to coil or distributor, dodgy points, condeser etc.

Good luck,

Craig.

Think the static timing would still appear to be OK. Difference is that spark is at the TDC on the exhaust stroke instead. A quick check would be to lift the cam cover (only two screws and a bit of pipe to take off) and see if the cam lobe on no. 1 (front cylinder) is at the top at the static timing position! After all I assume the rest of the components were working OK on the old engine, if so, doesn't leave much to be wrong!

Ray

Yes, I think you'd gone by the time me and Andy had this on the red car. We tried moving the leads around somewhat arbitrarily on the strength that it made a difference.

Problem was the old engine was plugged up for a correct distributor and the newer one came with a dizzy that was in backwards, so the leads were all wrong. When we moved them round one or two positions, we got two out of four firing.

Pulling off leads to see which made no difference quickly showed up which pair to swap. Made more neighbour-friendly at night by the fact that we hadn't got the exhaust pipe on right either.

The static timing will be right because it will be firing in the same position in the cycle - it'll just be the wrong cycle (end of the exhaust stroke rather than end of the compression stroke but in both cases 5 degrees before top dead centre or whatever the mark means.)

It was the timing.  In the light of day I re-set it a couple of times and off it goes  :D  Just got to put some new studs in my spare exhaust manifold and change it over as the studs on this one are facked!!

Thanks for the support chaps.

Malcolm.

Look on the bright side?  This went about as well as it could.  All fitted in 3 days and just the manifold to replace.  Not a bad job for someone who didn't know how to change a spark plug a few short years ago!

:cool:

engine_3.jpg

Malcolm.