3D printed LED rear light mount

Edwin, isn't your LED panel in just about exactly the wrong place in the taillight?

It would seem the original bulb is positioned lower in the housing to illuminate through the little "lens" and to the sides. Positioning it in place of or behind the retroreflector seems like it would hurt light output and make the light highly directional.

It will be good to see images of the LEDs powered up in the lamp.

Edwin, isn't your LED panel in just about exactly the wrong place in the taillight?

It would seem the original bulb is positioned lower in the housing to illuminate through the little "lens" and to the sides. Positioning it in place of or behind the retroreflector seems like it would hurt light output and make the light highly directional.

It will be good to see images of the LEDs powered up in the lamp.

Will take some pictures. Of course adding a light in the lower spot wont work because you will cover the existing lamps.

This is an extra brake light added to the tr2. the tr2 has the indicator and rear light in the side lamps. the brake is only in the middle.

This spot is the only place you can add extra brake light. the higly directional wont be a problem, its for the brakes only !

...This is an extra brake light added to the tr2...

Aha -- I didn't clue in to the "extra" part. I like it a lot better this way!

Edwin do the lights have a built in rectifier so you can use positive, or negative ground? Also did you go with red, or white lights. I have white on my car and they are not very bright, ok at night hardly visible during the day. I don't remember how many lights I have, yours look to have more.

How come you chose white LEDs, Edwin? There are a number of online discussions noting that LEDs should match the color of the lens with which they're used. Amber-for-amber, red-for-red. Using white behind red, for example, has been advised against (by suppliers, too, IIRC) because the resulting light will be seen as a distinct pink color.

It will be good to hear your reports when you get these in service.

How come you chose white LEDs, Edwin? There are a number of online discussions noting that LEDs should match the color of the lens with which they're used. Amber-for-amber, red-for-red. Using white behind red, for example, has been advised against (by suppliers, too, IIRC) because the resulting light will be seen as a distinct pink color.

It will be good to hear your reports when you get these in service.

Hi,

well this is by experience.. I used red before but when using red on red there was hardly any light to see ! There is indeed a more pink color, but hey, there are extra brakesignals!

OK, so i took some pictures.

Only Brake:
IMG_5430.JPGIMG_5429.JPG

Rear light and brake

IMG_5425.JPGIMG_5426.JPG

Different angle, rear light and brake

IMG_5428.JPGIMG_5427.JPG

I think its a great and save addition !

I have had several drivers who were convinced my brake light didnt work, everyone is used to have the brake lights on both sides instead of center only.

Edited by EdwinTiben