Wheels

Guest hodgie

Guest hodgie

Hi guys,

Been away for a while running the 4.0 litre in. Apart from needing a respray it's gorgeous if a touch on the loud side!!

However, I am in desperate need of some new wheels/tyres to keep me on the road.

I was looking at 16" superlite's with 205/55's, probably brigestone potenza. However they are a little on the pricey side at the mo' , so I was thinking of some MGF 16" ers in the interim. Seen some locally with 225's and have no idea if they fit??

Can anyone help me out. I'm lowered as per usual spax spring/ shock kit with 4 pots but apart fom that no changes to arches etc.

Will 16's running 225's fit the arch? What is the largest / widest I can go. As stated, i think 195/ 205 would be fine, just happened that these were available locally.

Thanks

Hodgie

Hodgie.

I think you are asking for trouble fitting 7" wheels with 225s.  Also that 225s are far too wide for normal road use (as front tyres at least).  Better to stick with 195/205s which are far more suitable.

I'd always thought that putting 16x7j wheels on a TR7 would case arch clearance problems regardless (I fitted older MGF 15x6j ones) but owners' experiences suggest they are OK.

Malcolm.

Guest Chris Draper

7 inch wheels wont fit the rear arches - I've got the 15 x 7 superlites & I had to have the rear arches modified slightly to get them to fit (by rolling the inner edges up inside the arch). They fit nicely with that minor adjustment, although obviously you're getting into paint as well...

If you want to fit tyres over 195's you really need 7 inch rims - I'm running 205's & they're about right (standard fitment on the MGF is a 215). Before that, I had 205's on 6 inch rims & they were just too wide for the wheel.

Hodgie, I've got 15x6 MGF rims fitted with 205/50 tyres, which feel fine to me.

I found it necessary to fit 6mm spacers, as the wheel centre bore was a very snug fit over the front hub/rear brake drum boss. I used Rover wheel centres with Triumph stick on logos (obtained from S+S) - the front ones needed doctoring to fit over the hub grease cap.

Mike

Wider tyres aren't a terribly good idea as they'll make the grip poor in the wet and the steering real heavy, without actually delivering any extra grip in the dry, on the whole.

With the v8 weight, a 195 or 205 is probably right. Maybe 185 on the lighter 2 litre.

And great big boots mean increasing unsprung weight, so sticking to 6 inch wheels is also a good idea. Just my two pennyworth...

• 2 weeks later...

on KEV we have 13x7 weller steels, these run 205.60.13's the only mods to the arches are the lip which is normally horizontal is folded up back on itself to the inside of the rear wing (another rust trap) and then the wheels clear fine, hope helps,

Tom Pringle