Wheel alignment

Hi Guys, I have now got my resto to the position of a rolling chassis with no engine in situ

My question is to carry out the wheel alignments approx how much weight do I need to put on the chassis back and front to compensate for there being no body work or engine attached ?

Is it feasable to carry the alignment out like this ??

Your wise input would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Nigel

Probably not feasable.

Double and triple check your front upper wishbone pivots are the correct way round, and you could have a go at the rear toe, but everything else will have to wait until fully loaded I'd suggest.

Jerry

Completely agree, you can only track the vehicle once it's in full roadworthy trim, no good putting bags of cement here and there!

Just put the shims in the front & rear suspension as they came out, wait until the car's MOT and get it done asap after that; only get a proper tyre company with 4 wheel laser alignnment kit. #

It will cost but the result will be a car that handles as well as Standard Triumph tried when the car was built, the financial cost will soon be forgotten when the smile on your face reappears!

Cheers for your input seems I will have to wait a while longer and fit a few more bits, there's a garage quite local with all they laser algnment gear so will try them.

Nigel

If you are doing a refurb you have plenty to do. The wheel alignment can wait until you 've got it ready to drive, or until after you've been for a few drives.

There's plenty of other stuff to worry about. (older and wiser of Torrens)

Despite the above comment, there is probably no harm, if it is like a 4A, in using a staight edge to check whether you need to shim the back swing arms to get them around zero degrees toe in-out. the lack of weight won't affect toe in much if you keep the straight edge up near the centre of the wheel.

Edited by littlejim