Removing steering column

Struggling to get the top column free of the dashboard. So far as I can see I've unbolted everything but I can't release the cable cover nor the anti torque strap nor the rear lower half of the column clamp. It's all loose but I can't release any of it. Do you have to remove the steering lock first? What's the tip for doing that? The book says tap bolts undone with a chisel. Does that work? JJC

Hi, JJC

To get the steering lock / ignition switch off you do have to undo the bolts with a chisel or the like. When I reassembled mine I used allen cap screws to make it easier if I need to remove it again

Cheers Phil

The locking steering column is secured by pretorqued bolts which shear when correct torque has been achieved- see workshop manual.

By all means replace said bolts with cap head bolts which are easier to undo but doesn't that negate the steering colum lock security?

What's the point of having a lockable steering column if you can undo it easily?

How many times do you expect to take the dashboard out during the ownership of your TR6 ??!!

Buy the correct bolts from Moss.