I picked up a copy of the September edition of Practical Classics today at the airport. Page 138 has an interesting article on a TR straight six short block assembly.

But something in the background of the first two photos intrigued me. Is Jason Wright at TRGB standing in front of a red Italia? Looks like it needs a lot of love.

Edited by Trigbush

Italia #1 was rumoured to have been trial fitted with a Sabrina engine. Sabrina engine mounts were midway along the block, so if the rumour is true, there should be evidence of corresponding engine mounts on the chassis.

Mighty ambitious project to restore that car, but no doubt someone will see the merit, given the significance of it being #1.

Viv

Hello !

for more info, just ask Paul Hogan, he was the former owner of this historical but derelict car and he knows a lot about this italian beauty ...

There is an interesting article about valuing Italia in Classic and sportcar last issue...

This red one is unique !

A RHD Italia !

I know no one more...

Paul told me the story of this #1 and he is sure that the sabrina engine has never been under her bonnet...

a legend as the Dové at Le Mans...

He remembered the ad in a newspaper where he saw her for sale, it was writen that this car was made by "Michaël Cotti", so the name of his funny team for Le Mans ...

regards

Patrick

Edited by Malocomotion

Patrick

We have records of 6 original right hand drive chassis supplied to become Italias - all shipped on the same day to Italy, February 2nd 1960

I am doing further research on these and will publish the conclusions soon - new information has come to light

One of the cars remains undiscovered but two of them are in the UK right now

#1 was originally LHD (there are lots of photos) and converted to RHD very early on and probably in the factory so you could call this the 7th

Edited by Paul Harvey
  • 5 months later...

I have just seen this thread about Italia #1 and yes it is my old car at TRGB which I reluctantly decided to sell but not as it might seem to Gary Bates of TRGB where it now resides. When I acquired the car it was complete but obviously needed major work. I had the car stripped at Revington TR to see how bad it was and it was VERY, VERY bad. So much so that it was thought better to scrap the body and replace it with one of Neil's alloy ones . Had I done that then it would no longer have been body #1 and so I placed it back into storage until I could afford to undertake the very complex restoration. However, life moves on and so several years later I sold the car to Simon at Robsport after it became clear to me that I was not going to be able to restore the car in the foreseeable future. Some time later Gary Bates bought the car off Simon and I'm happy to say that the car is now going to be restored.

Paul Harvey is quite right in that the car was originally LHD and converted very early on to RHD. Because of this conversion it is the only Italia that has no glove box fitted. As for a SABRINA engine being fitted , this is just a myth. No Italia ever had a Sabrina twin cam fitted. Ruffino wasn't interested and frankly he couldn't have afforded it! It would have been a great car though if a Twin Cam had been fitted and much more 'Italian' if it had.

Paul Hogan.

Great to have a contribution from a former Italia Registrar and owner.

We now think some of the confusion over Italias arises from articles that appeared in 'Road&Track' magazine in November 1960.

Simultaneous coverage was given to Italia #1 and the Sabrina engined TRS which were both seen and photographed on the same day together at the Standard Triumph factory in Coventry.

The journalist mixed up details in the articles which also appeared one above the other over 2 pages of the magazine, and the twin-cam Sabrina engine pic ended up between the 2 cars.

Thus the Italia myth was born of Borrani wire wheels, aluminium bodywork, and a twin-cam engine - none of which were present on Italia #1.

Meanwhile, Italia #2 is nearing completion and I have seen recent photos of the car in fabulous condition complete with its unique badges.

Italia #3 is being restored in USA by the most knowledgeable Italia expert on the planet.

I also met the owner of the second Italia prototype this week, and he assures me it is his life's work to complete the restoration and put the car back on the road.

Nothing has been seen or heard of the first 'slope nose' prototype, but it may have been converted into the second prototype, or even into a full production car according to relatives of Ruffino.

As ever I would be delighted to hear from anyone with knowledge or information about Italias, however scant.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you have seen this Paul.

In Car & Classic, 1960 Italia in the USA. Needs total restoration,$35,000 = £22,000 abt. Ref No C439950.

It dosen't give the number.

Dave

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C439950

Phone number is Oregon (USA) and appears tied to numerous other car for sale adverts as:

Gerard Florendo
503 974 9215

Update: appears ad refernced "may" be a scam. This guy has almost 2000 ad postings on variaous sites. Possible he reposts others' ads, hoping to cut himself in on the transcation.

Edited by Italia 227

This is a very complete early Italia in US in need of complete restoration. The vendor has already turned down offers & I think he will wait. Despite the extensive rust, the car does seem a genuine candidate for a suitably enthusiastic restorer.

All previous comments about cost and value apply!

Edited by Paul Harvey