Drive shaft gaiters

Hi All

Just putting the back end together on my 5 and intended to replace the rubber gaiters on the splined drive shafts. I ordered some from a well known parts retailer but unfortunately had problems - the gaiters were 'plain' in design rather than convoluted/concertina style and bear a close resemblance to a sink plunger without the handle (5in dia at wide end, narrow end a good fit for the splined shaft tho).

The retailer insists that this is the correct part....am I missing something glaringly obvious? If not, please can anyone suggest a supplier that will provide something closer to the original part in design terms ie convoluted shape, correct diameter etc. I would have thought a 'standard', even if remanufactured part would be available...but where from?

Many thanks

David

Top Tip:

When you have the UJ gaiter fitted and are attempting to re-fit the driveshaft assy through the hole in the trailing arm, the gaiter snags.

Turn the gaiter back on its self ie inside out but still fitted. The shaft assy will now push through the hole without trouble. Turn the gaiter the right way out once you have the 4 drive flange nuts and bolts fitted.

The old lags of the industry will remember that when production line stocks of drive shafts were sold by the dozen they already had the inner UJ gaiter 'turned back' to aid fitting on the track. TKC 853, the spares stock, was not so assembled.

Roger do you have the orig 4A drive shafts that had a threaded compression cap with cork seal to protect the splines from grot - like old fashioned propshafts have? These certainly did not use the rubber gaiter over the spline. All the later open spline type were fitted with the rubber gaiter 140753. That being most Barb, all Innsbruk, most TR4A* all TR5/250/6, all Stag, some TVR.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Pete,

I have later shafts from the chaps in the west Midlands (or was it Kidderminster) Seem to work OK but getting those gaiters on - bloody hell.

Roger

A big pair of Hellerman Sleeve pliers?

Peter W

Guys

Firstly, thanks to all of you for the help. Not just for the answers to my (possibly naïve) questions but the additional advice.

I guess I was mislead by not having the covers fitted in the first place. Are they recommended?

The reason I wanted to replace the gaiters is that one of them is badly split - however Roger indicates they are not really necessary?

Sounds like fitting them is the Devils own job, however Im here to learn and do the job properly so I'll probably give it a go - wont be for a couple of weeks though. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

Sounds like you've got the boot that goes over the inboard universal joint (item 14 in this picture http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=12293). What you need is item 15 for the splined joint.

Regards,

Darren

Darren

Thanks for this

You were corect. However when I look at the Moss site, there appear to be no wire clips for the larger boot. Do they not use them?

Also, the reason the problem arose initially was because there were no larger boots fitted when I took ownereship of the car - what youve never had, you never miss! So I was completely oblivious to the them. How neccessary are they?

Thanks again

David

Hi David,

I don't think the large boots need any ties around them. They cannot slip outward as the concertina boots on the splined shaft stop them in that direction, and the shoulder on the inboard part of the driveshaft stops them moving in towards the diff. I expect the reason they're fitted is to stop muck and spray thrown up from the rear wheels from getting on the UJ.

This pic may be helpful, taken during the strip down of my TR6.

1629568179_13264a0396_o.jpg

Just thought I'd add that I had no problem fitting either of these boots/gaiters. The first time i did them with the driveshafts on the bench, but I had to do the gaiters a second time just before i got the car on the road as the first set perished and split into about five pieces in within 6 months before the car had turned a wheel.

Whether they're necessary or not I guess is a matter of opinion. Personally I think it's certainly a good idea to have the gaiters on the splined joint to keep water and grit out and the grease in. The large inboard joint - probably less important, but I expect it does provide an element of protection to the UJ.

Hope that helps.

Edited by darren-cambs

Darren

Thanks for this

You were corect. However when I look at the Moss site, there appear to be no wire clips for the larger boot. Do they not use them?

Also, the reason the problem arose initially was because there were no larger boots fitted when I took ownereship of the car - what youve never had, you never miss! So I was completely oblivious to the them. How neccessary are they?

Thanks again

David

Hi David,

I don't think the large boots need any ties around them. They cannot slip outward as the concertina boots on the splined shaft stop them in that direction, and the shoulder on the inboard part of the driveshaft stops them moving in towards the diff. I expect the reason they're fitted is to stop muck and spray thrown up from the rear wheels from getting on the UJ.

Just thought I'd add that I had no problem fitting either of these boots/gaiters. The first time i did them with the driveshafts on the bench, but I had to do the gaiters a second time just before i got the car on the road as the first set perished and split into about five pieces in within 6 months before the car had turned a wheel.

Whether they're necessary or not I guess is a matter of opinion. Personally I think it's certainly a good idea to have the gaiters on the splined joint to keep water and grit out and the grease in. The large inboard joint - probably less important, but I expect it does provide an element of protection to the UJ.

Hope that helps.

Hi David,

Hope that helps.

Darren

Thanks for all this experience and information you have passed on. I'll let you know where I get to

David