Steering Rack Bush

Hello

Some knowledge please, my 6 failed the MOT on the steering rack, Slack in the bush I did have a advisery last year so perhaps should have done somthing about it for this year! .010" play checking with a feeler gauge.

The rest of the rack appears ok checking whilst still on car. My question is how easy is it to remove

the bush or any advice on the best way, I will need to strip the rack,I was going to split the bush to

remove it but just as I was wrighting this I was thinking of a threaded bar & making some kind of

puller or is there an easyer way.

Thanks for any suggestions

Richard

If its the left hand side one, you will have to remove the inner ball joint assembly from the rack, this wont upset the tracking, I then used a hacksaw blade and cut thru the bush part and the steel backing, be careful not to cut into the rack body its aluminium, then its easy to collapse it and remove it.

It was easy to tap in the new bush with a piece of hard wood between hammer and bush

There isn't much room between the bush and the casing if you knock it from the other end, so I used this method

There should also be a plastic slug under the left rack bush mounting to take up the play, or stop the clacking in the rack, but these are not always put back in.

Regards John