I was wondering what the oval hole at the top of the front face of my Stromberg carbs are for (att pic), no allowance is made for this on the air filters I am using or am I using the wrong type. Thankspost-8492-0-57095500-1371016020_thumb.jpg

post-8492-0-57095500-1371016020_thumb.jpg

Hi,

This is an air vent to supply normal air pressure under the black nitrile membrane. So there is no unwanted depression or pressure building under it. it has the same function as the holes in a SU carb piston.

http://obswww.unige.ch/~wildif/cars/docs/SU_carbs_tuning.pdf

Badfrog

That carb looks like a 175CD2, surely the original stromberg carbs on the TR4/4A were 175CD ?? [can someone confirm?]

As Badfrog says, that hole is the atmosphere vent which is critical for correct operation of the 175CD2, but AFAIK the 175CD is different and is vented internally before the venturi??

Therefore the standard air filters don't have a cut-out to support the 175CD2 vent ...?

Thanks everybody the more questions I ask the more I am finding out about my car which may not be 100% original spec but still a delight and now I know what to do with my air filters and gaskets which will give me something to do until my next question.

Thanks

I also have a 4A fitted with CD2s. As far as I am aware, the only individual filters that have the correct cut-outs are from K&N, but I have been advised against using these as a needle change is normally required because of the different pressure drop across the filter and, in addition, a flat spot often results anyway. I believe there is an Australian manufactured filter that is also compatible, but have no further information on this or its suitability Sadly, although compatible with CD2s, a TR250 air cleaner assembly will not fit, as this requires a different inner wing to accommodate it.

Therefore, I modify CD compatible filters, taking great care to ensure that as little swarf as possible gets into the assembly and then blowing them out thoroughly to remove any swarf that found its way inside - there is always some! FYI, the Stag uses the CD2 carb and the gaskets for this are freely available.

Edited by Horse

Thanks Horse I have already modified my current filters.

Budgie, you can contact me by email, cjmcsg@yahoo.com

Thanks Horse I have already modified my current filters.

Budgie, you can contact me by email, cjmcsg@yahoo.com

- better to use a PM than put an email address in plain text - spammers are eveywhere!!

As a freelance employee my email address alongside my phone number is freely available online on various industry directories and I have never had any problem with this.

Hi Riverstar,

I am currently rebuilding my SU carbs, and I found your CD2S gaskets in the "all purpose gasket set" associated with the repair material from Moss. I could bring them to Malvern and give them to you (if you attend the IWE) or to a friend of yours.

Just say and I'll pack them in the TR.

Badfrog