Tr8 - 5 litre

Guest crbox

Hi,

I wonder if any body knows of a chap called Pete Tyler, who used to Hillclimb a TR8 with a 5.0 L motor, around about 6 years ago.

If anybody knows of Pete or the car's current owner, I'd be most gratefull.

Alternatively, I'd like to know more about how the car was modified.

As I understand it, he still holds the Gurston Down record set in 1997.

Guest Larry J-C

I used to compete against Pete in my hillclimbing days but he was not part of the TR register, primarily as the car did not meet our rules.  It was prepared for him by FG Rallying who I think are no longer trading.  An awesome car the engine grew for 3.9 litres to close on 5 litres and he certainly knew how to pedal it quickly.  I think he may still  have the car although it hasn't been seen for some years.  Probably the best way to contact him is through BARC who run the Gurston hillclimb and all details are on the BARC website  - the lady you will need is Mrs Jane Harratt.

Larry

Thanks Larry,

I spoke to Jane yesterday, but she had no details available.

I'm not actually a TR register member as yet, but I am a regular entrant in hillclimb events.

Do you recollect why the car did not meet TR rules? Is there a limit on modifications?

Guest Larry J-C

If I remember rightly the engine was far too big - the Register limit is 4.5 Litres.  Also Pete Tyler was not really into the register he preferred to compete in the bigger Championships, luckily for us, as we would have been wiped out and the class bogies would have been unachievable for ever.  That said Hugh Maund got fairly close to his Gurston times in the last few years.  If you are looking for a car, Hugh will probably sell his hillclimb car - its a bit tatty but has some serious stuff in it with a very good engine.  I can give you his number if it is of interest.

Larry

Ok chaps thanks for the guidance.

It seems Gurston is unique in having a Marque modified sportscar class. Most venue's don't and that means Westfield Seight's hold the records.Modified Tr 8 still a possible contender though - thats why I need to track down Pete and see if his, or a new car could be developed further.Have looked at HW's car times. Will consider, but Pete's 5L car a better starting point.