Panel transit primer

I have bought a few replacement panels for my 4A tub. Most of them (sills, floors) have black primer and the inner wing has red. I'm removing this where I'll be welding and replacing it with a weld through primer.

Question is, before paint do I need to remove the remainder of the existing primer so it can be sprayed with a good zinc based primer, or is the existing primer good enough to leave on? I will be getting a professional paint job, not doing it myself.

If they are British Motor Heritage panels they are electrophoretic coated and can be primed then painted. This is a top quality motor industry base coating. It will be black satin finish and you will find it hard to scrape off.

Cheers

Peter W

If they are British Motor Heritage panels they are electrophoretic coated and can be primed then painted. This is a top quality motor industry base coating. It will be black satin finish and you will find it hard to scrape off.

Cheers

Peter W

Absolutely but if it comes off easily then definitely bare metal them. I have seen some come through with spider webs of rust already starting under the black, check all the panels carefully as some sit around for years and as Jim says if in doubt bare metal and give them a good coat of Bondarust.

Stuart.

Thanks for the advice. The black primer is certainly difficult to remove - I can vouch for that after cleaning the edges of the floor panels off where I'll be welding!! The inner wings have red oxide primer so I'll clean that off, but the floor panels and the inner/outer sills all have the black stuff.

For the floors give them a rub down with 180 grit before priming and painting and do the same on the inside of the sills but paint the insides of them with Bondarust before welding them on.They will last longer.

Stuart.