Wiper wiring - Electrical problem

Good afternoon all,

I was starting to fit a turn signal bleeper this morning when I noticed that part of the loom, adjacent to the Flasher unit, had split and there was melted green plastic showing. It is the Green feed to the wiper motor that had melted. The end of the Green wire, where it comes out of the loom to feed the wiper moter shows signs of melting as does the end going into the loom which from the voltage stabiliser. So I assume the whole lenth of the Green wire will show the same signs.The other Green wire out of the stabiliser looks OK. The voltage stabiliser is a solid state one which was built to the design on an MG site. I fitted an electric washer unit last summer in readiness for my RBRR trip where it worked alright. I had taken the power feed for this by making a connection into the Green wire feeding the Wiper motor. The wires to the washer unit appear unaffected, as do the wires from the Wiper switchand the length from where I made the connection, up into the Wiper motor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may have caused the Green wire to the Wiper motor to overheat? The Wiper motor was rebuilt last year by a chap in Birmingham that I met at the Triumph Day at Stoneleigh named Steve Hunt. It would appear to me that I have a shorting problem but what could be the cause of this if I am right. The loom will obviousley need opening to fit a new length of wire, job I could have done without!

If the wiper gets jammed, stuck, frozen etc then the run current rises from 3.5A to 10A or more.

Dont try opening the loom. Just isolate the faulty wire and run a new one outside of the loom.

One day you can replace/rebuild the whole loom.