Suffering the legacy of poor reproduction parts. I am coming of the opinion that refurbishment of parts and then long storage in the mistaken belief they will be ok is not cost effective solution. My car had not turned a wheel in many years of dry storage and every hose and rubber suspension component needed replacement.

E.g Steering box rebuilt and then stored.

Add expensive steering lubrication and within short timescale the rocker shaft oil/grease seal lets go.

1. There is no play in any direction so I presume that seals and lock tabs are all I would need?

2. Can you remove a split column steering box without a full front end strip down?

3. So how easy is it to rebuild a steering box and any special tools needed?

4. Any special tools required other than a puller to get the arm off the spline?

rgds

Rod

I think it is possible to get the box out without removing the apron on a TR3A although I haven't done it. The box is simple to work on but you'll need a puller and a nice big spanner to undo the big nut.. As I've said previously there's a company on our estate who rebuilds them all the time, he did mine and I'm sure he'd advise if necessary.

1. I believe this is correct.

2. I believe this is also correct though I removed the front apron for other reasons which made it all much easier.

3. It is very easy to rebuild the steering box and no other special tools are needed. Macy's Garage has a very helpful web page on the subject.

4. No.

In addition, having just rebuilt my steering box and taken it for a test drive for the first time two days ago I can not tell you how much of an improvement it makes. It really is worth the effort.

Good Luck.

Mike

Edited by Tugboat