4A exhaust - best system ?

Almost at the point of needing an exhaust system, and I see that TR Shop has them on special offer at the moment.

Our car's an early 4A so should have the twin system ideally, and understand that this is quieter than the cross-box type. But also understand it's not as efficient as the cross-box, presumably losing 1 or 2 bhp ?

Any comments, anyone ? Or maybe a non-standard system would be better ? I don't want anything too raucous nor, as my work often takes me down farm tracks etc., does it want to be low.

I've always had a twin box system on my 4A which looks great and is not too low if fitted correctly.

I can't imagine the cross box vs. 2 boxes makes much difference to HP on a standard car.

I've now got a Phoenix complete system including 4in1 manifold as pic below and I can confirm:

1. It is raucous, but not silly. Smile for me, moan from the wife (Webers probably don't help :) )

2. It is low, but has been fitted carefully to give max. clearance and works about as well as the original system did.

Congratulations on taking the TR down farm tracks - that's exactly what I'm going to do now mine's back on the road!

Harv

Hi, if your thinking of any long motorway trips I would stick to a standard system in SS.

I have tried 2 others, A single silencer straight through sysyem and a "Sports Cross Box" both of which I found much too loud.

Currently I have a cross box as designated for a Tr 250, fits straight on as the single intermediate pipe is the same size but gives you twin outlets and pleasent sound and is slightly more freeflow than the correct single outlet 4a offering.

Won't suit some though as it's not as original, but then neither are a lot of parts On my4A!

Edited by potts4a