TR4A/5/6 hood differences ?

Hi Anthony,

Due to a major crash in '77, my TR4 has a TR5 bonnet. It fits, but the curve of the bonnet is a trifle different from that of the wings. No way to align perfectly. I was broke at the time and needed to go cheap, but I would not recommend it. There is a fair number of TR4 bonnets on Ebay, so just wait for the real McCoy.

Badfrog

The 5/6 hood is substantially different around the door glass aperture and should have Velcro strips above the aperture to attach to the hood frame, the upright section behind the glass is different shape, it is also slightly different in the height of the glass aperture and the rear window was optionally zip out.

Stuart.

It will fit if it comes with the hood sticks. I have a 5 hood fitted to my 4A. It is an upgrade because the frame forms a rigid frame around the window glass, where as the 4A just flaps. The sticks fit the B post but the fitting atop the screen is different. The 4A has over centre "packing case" clips which are easyer to use than the handle and cam on the 5 and 6 hood, which conects with a brass cam fitted beneith the aluminium top trim. This is different too but I still have the original slightly modified to take the lever. These levers require you to stretch the hood to fit which is done from outside the car. The original over centre clips give better leverage and can be done from inside the car. The rear deck press studs are plastic on the later cars so you will want to swap these. I use lift the dots so my tonaux fits over my hood bag, which is realy handy.

The 5 hood has reflector strips around the door glass and a zip out rear window, useless unless you like the smell of super unleaded.

John

The 5 hood has reflector strips around the door glass

That is a TR250 hood then with the reflector strips.

Stuart.