Now that it's back, a couple of questions....

1. I can't for the life of me see where the operating rod for the vent lid goes into the footwell. Even shining a torch from the footwell I can't see it from above. Where should I look, or maybe there isn't a hole?

2. The front silencer box (standard exhaust system) seems awfully close to the floor. It doesn't actually touch the floor but blinking close. Is that right?

First of many now that I'm in putting together mode.

Its straight ahead of the operating lever on the dashboard and about 4 in up.

Goes through a grommet. Then curves downwards and engages the flap from the centre outward.

None of this is obvious. Looked at it for AGES a few weeks back.

Al.

Maybe if you have enough room to work and enough warmth to work during the winter.

Do you have a Surrey top? Getting the backlight frame to fit down and seal was amusing. Like wise the screen-frame.

Mine was a basket-case parts car for £300 and often things dont go quite as simply as if you had just dismantled and re-painted.

Also actually FINDING where you put the bits takes up time.

Al.

Most of my parts are either in sub-assemblies, eg the steering column and pedal box, or tagged, indexed in Excel and stored in those fruit boxes from Sainsburys. It'll all go wrong I know but I've tried.

OH! also trying to read labels that have faded over the 4yrs doesnt help either

Welcome to my world but try it after 30yrs - no chance!!

Keeping plugging at it folks we'll get there!!

I'm aiming for the International next year (may be optimistic but a man has to have goals!!)

Cheers

John

Next question:

I got a repro bootlid handle at the IWE. It comes with a washer with cutouts that (nearly) match the outer escutcheon. The WSM is not clear on this but where does that washer go? Is it between the escutcheon and the bootlid, which I intend sealing with non-setting sealer also? It seems to be made of thin metal and I can't see what purpose it serves.

Edit: I see that it's described as "gasket under handle" so it must go outside but a metal gasket???

Edited by peejay4A