Chrome Spoked Wheels

I have a friend whom has just bought a rather nice example of a 1969 TR6. He wants to get chrome wire wheels fitted. I suggested asking for some advice/opinion here as to a couple of his suggestions:

Is it a good idea at all to do this? should he buy new or is it ok to get a good quality second hand set he has seen and have the odd spoke re-chromed if thats possible?

Its not my area of expertise so am not in a good position to give him advice but any suggestions would be great.

Hi Ash,

unless the wheels are on the old side I believe the spokes will be polished stainless.

Chroming High tensile steel can cause it to snap.

Unless the second hand wheels have been looked after very well I would suggest new wheels. The internal splines can wear and the chrome/steel sub surface can rust.

If you buy new ensure that the wheels have a good coat of quality polish on the them and repolished regularly - stay away from sea salt spray for any longish periods!!!!

Roger

Edited by RogerH

The Original Wire Wheels were Stove Enamelled Silver, I had mine redone in Silver Powdercoat which looks a bit brighter.

IMHO Chrome Wire Wheels look Vulgar and too 'Bling'...to use an equally Vulgar expression!

The Original Wire Wheels were Stove Enamelled Silver, I had mine redone in Silver Powdercoat which looks a bit brighter.

IMHO Chrome Wire Wheels look Vulgar and too 'Bling'...to use an equally Vulgar expression!

Opps!

Edited by Denis

Whether you choose painted or chromed wire wheels is simply a matter of personal taste but if buying a secondhand set, I would want to be certain that there are no wear issues with the hubs or adaptors, as sorting this out could be more expensive than buying a new set!

One downside with wires (apart from cleaning)is when tyres are replaced. There are very few tyre fitters now that have the cones required to mount wires on their balancing machine and as a result, getting the wheels balanced properly is difficult. Might be worth checking in your area to see if you have any 'old skool' tyrefitters.

Regarding the balancing of wires. If you have an old splined adaptor, this could be machined to fit your local tyre fitters balancing machine.

You then fit the adaptor to the wheel, including a spinner with a flat face, then the whole lot to the machine - bingo.

Roger