after the storm

Hi fellow Trs

last september i had a close encounter with the car nex to me, and oportunity came to get things redone on my 1971 Pi:-)

I'm now strugling with setting up chassi and body marriage, and correcting unbalanced heigts and cambers.

Just spend a couple of hours measuring ! following BB and forum, and need your comments:-)

1. Chassi is strait overall, +-9mm diference, left/right front A-A' docking body shell, all diagonals correct: should I care?
  2. If I ad extra pads on the left side, body will be at right heigts? is this a normal practice ? to what extent ?
  3. Camber front and rear are out of specs, unbalanced and too negatve, plan to play with brakets and shims: the BB is short on instruction for setting front camber, any directions on where to look
  4. Replaced both dampers and links but after 50k test, the right link came off at the ruber joint: is there a special attention when setting the link?

Thank you for advice

You need to set the chassis up level on stands first and then shim the body level afterwards, uneven numbers of pads from side to side isnt unusual. Front camber is adjusted using shims on the inner lower mounts. Make sure that the top inner wishbone mounting bracket is the correct way round. The rear is set up by the swinging arm mounting bracket orientation and shimming. Rear shock links should only be tightened up with the car at normal ride height otherwise the link will be twisted at the lever end which will cause premature failure.

Stuart.

The lower wishbones on the front suspension each bolt into a box on the chassis, the adjustment is by shims inserted between the mounting bracket and the box, or if the camber is too much then by removing shims. Normal starting point is 3 shims in each.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Professional measuring, -2,70 1/0 shims front left and -1,67 0/0 shims!

where should I start?

1. the 3 /3 shims and work onwards?
  2. start 0/0 shims and work onwards?
  3. Or review front suspension"rubbers"?

Should had say that no slack or knoc from the front so I kind of lost! need orientation please, alowed time for Tr is negociated :-)

First of all the car needs to have been run forwards and backwards enough to settle the suspension and then on a dead level floor measure the camber in degrees from the vertical as 1.5 to 2 degrees negative is about right for the front. Though they do need to be virtually identical from side to side.

Is the curved section on your top wishbone inner mounting bracket towards the engine or away from it?

Stuart.