TRactors Targa team

The TRactors team (geddit ?) put up a creditable performance on this year's Targa Rusticana rally last weekend in mid-Wales.

The team comprised 3 TR4 crews: Mark Rodbert and myself in our white '63, Tony Sheach and Terence Bradley in their Tony's pale blue works-lookalike car, and Andy Lane and Adrian Bennet in Andy's red machine.

We ended up placed eerily close together in the final results - Andy and Adrian were thes best of us, then Mark and I and Tony and Terence were close behind, all out us about half way down our class (pre-67 sports cars over 1300cc), beaten by big Healeys, Alfa Giulias and Porsche 356s, but unfortunately also by a couple of MGBs  :(

Mark and I really enjoyed the rally, which, unusually for an HRCR 1-dayer, had a significant proportion of gravel sections on the Epynt military ranges. For us, the 30mph required average speeds on these roads effectively made them special stages. The navigation was relatively straightforward, but nevertheless I made a couple of major cock-ups, which I'm sure cost us a few places. Mark managed to avoid hitting anything more solid than an oil drum.

The car managed the nearly 600 miles over the weekend without major mishap - the horn's stopped working (yet again ! Just what is the right solution to creating a good earth route down the steering column ?), and a lack of charge from the dynamo looks like its just a fault in the regulator)

Anyway, fuller reports in next months TRaction...

Jon

Thanks for starting the ball rolling Jon, it was great to finally meet you, Mark and Tony (and Tezza the Irish navvi(gator)!! - was he really drunk all weekend or just pretending Tony?)

What a fantastic day's rallying!! Even the experienced crews were saying it was the hardest and most fun one-day rally they'd ever been on - an amazing day.

Jon's point about a special stage, especially through the long forest section (about 35 miles!) is spot on. We were absolutely flat out, given that we didn't have pace notes and the maps are a bit inaccurate to call corners properly. We were following a beautifully prepared big Healey for some distance and had great fun watching him get very sideways, even asked us if we wanted to pass him but we were having far too much fun watching him from behind! We were certainly quicker, but that may have been down to tyres rather than power or driver skill! Ade and I only made 2 real cock-ups but they cost us 1500 points about 24 places!

We finished the day like this:

Andy Lane/Adey Bennett 2489 points, 37th o/a, 12th in class

Mark Rodbert/Jon Mathias 3204 points, 44th o/a, 13th in class

Tony Sheach/Terence Bradley 3241, 45th o/a, 14th in class

That was out of 72 starters, so no disgrace as we are all "novices" at present and there was the highest class field of competitors you will ever see out on a historic road rally.

The TR4 genrally ran well all day but had been misbehaving all morning with little low-down power, then suddenly after lunch it all cleared and was running far better, must have been a blocked jet or two, but with twin 45DCOE's it's sometimes hard to diagnose. Glad to hear Jon and Mark's charging problem was only the regulator, presume you got home in the daylight OK.

Anyway - what a fantastic way to spend a day; great route, great organisation, great cars, great company and a great big smile from ear to ear all day - we even got to handbrake turn through someone's garden where they were having a big BBQ!! Nearly stopped for a sausage!!

TRactor Andy

Hi all

Certainly was a great fun event and one that I enjoyed very much. Great to finally meet (and share a drink with - or quite a few with) a few of the contributers to the Forum here. More required.

Terence's hang over was real, hence the loss of points on the first 3 regularities and my tyre problem does mean 4 new tyres before i take it out of the garage again. You will notice how the results improved over the day and the penalies get fewer as we went.

The results do us all justice as when you look at the finals its a who's who of historic rallying in the top 30 places and then a few handy crews who come out occaisionally and then us TRactors - thespians that we are. A good result, particularly as the last event that the talented Mr Bradley and I had done since the Circuit Retro last October.

Clearly my lack of talent shone through again, however the pictures truly demonstrate how far I have gone to conquering the elusive are of posing. Heh heh.

I enjoyed the forest stages hugely and had a ball with the LSD on the loose (thanks for the pic Ade) even in the test. On test 11 I sacrificed a shockingly good test time (!!!!) to get a power doughnut in in front of the photographer ........ but I still enjoyed booting up the forest tracks in OD 2nd - you must get yours fixed Andy and im sure youll leave us all for dust.

Another good aspect of the tests on this rally was the nav in the car, which means that you can get on with hoofing - first time ive done it like this ...... so we must get sorted what go left means, is it pass to the left, keep in to the left ........ no opportunity to take the gate and 5 secs penalty with 45 gallon drums on this one if youre not sure.

For £110 enty plus fule this has to be great value - where else can you rocket around on tarmac stages and forest roads from 9.30 until 7pm and get fed at regular intervals ???? there must be others out there who would enjoy this ..... "Nowhere is far in a TR" remember .... try www.hrcr.co.uk for more details

Lastly ...... finally got petrol and got home Sunday morning after another sess with the legendary Terence Bradley .... Thai Green Curry and red wine at 3am ....... hard to keep up! I believe he got home to Belfast OK and appears at Donnington this weekend with his Alvis for a 3 hour team race.

Regards

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Terence
You guys have to understand that the rule is 'moderation in all things including moderation' - sure a navigator is only a driver with brains as I keep telling Tony. The green curry was his idea I assure you, have you ever heard of an Irishman ordering such an abberation at that time of the morning? We had to share a room as well so the pennance was complete  -  he scoffed most of the red wine too   -   that's drivers for you!  We'll sort his nonsense out on next week-end's Circuit of Ireland Retro though. Open invite to anyone wanting help or info about any Irish motoring event,mail me.:P