TR7-V8 or TR8

Hi guys,

The TR7/8 FAQ link is dead so I post anew.

I have a guy on the TCF forum insisting that TR7-V8 and TR8 are different cars. Wedges are not in my league but I've never seen any difference between these two cars anywhere, including in the TRR website spec sheet.

Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,

Badfrog

TR8 is a specific model V8 powered from the factory. TR7V8 is just that, a TR7 converted to V8 power afterwards.

Stuart.

TR7 V8 was the title given to the V8-engined TR7 homologated for motorsport in April 1978, which never existed as a road car. In fact the TR8, as such, had not even gone on sale when that was achieved - which tells us a lot about Abingdon's persuasive powers with the FIA.

Edited by Graham Robson

Thanks to both of you. A very subtle notion indeed.

I'll go home and play "Mr Expert" ... :ph34r:

Graham, I'll reference your book on the TR7/8. The guys here are a bit at loss with english, but they'll just have to learn.

Cheers,

Badfrog

Hi Badfrog,

further to Graham's point, a wonderful irony from 1980 . . . . .

The ADA/Janspeed/TR Register car of 1980 was entered for Le Mans as a TR7V8 . . . . M. J-M Balestre as President of the FFSA took objection, insisting it had to be entered as a TR8 or not at all. So the entry was amended to TR8. Come qualifying Balestre objected once again, on the grounds that it had been built too early to be a TR8, and couldn't be a TR7V8 either as it wasn't a rally car . . . .

Gallic logic is the polite description.

I wasn't very polite at the time, J-M B being more than taken aback by my command of insults expressed in French, in particular my references to his alleged membership of the SS in WW2. Sadly his entourage prevented him from taking a swing at me - and I wasn't going to strike the first blow, much as I'd love to have decked the pompous sonofabitch.

Cheers,

Alec

You'd have enjoyed it Graham, I think it's the only time I've seen someone actually, literally, foam at the mouth - other than in an epileptic fit.

The bloke was a monster, with a comet's tail of acolytes and sycophants trailing in his wake. The most obnoxious individual I've ever had a nose to nose discussion with. He didn't enjoy arguing with me for the TR and Ian 'Baked Bean' Bracey for the Ibec. Afterwards one of his acolytes tried teaching us some manners, and finished up headfirst in a dustbin for his pains, which upset one of les flics . . . . so we left himarse over tit in a dustbin too, after relieving him of his pistol and clips. I often wonder how he explained the loss of his weapon. It made good money back in Brighton a few days later.

Le Mans doesn't have any happy memories for me, the place is a ruddy nightmare.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec,

Thanks for the info on TR7-V8.

As you mentionned, JMB was an unpleasant man with very unpleasant sympathies with the french extreme-right, in its most awful expression.

Interested amateur historians might dig a bit into collaboration and french LVF troops on the eastern front (French League of volunteers against bolchevism). Allegations were quite substantiated.

Badfrog

Edited by Badfrog