Evans Classic Coolant - expensive but any good?

Just seen this stuff advertised - Evans Classic Cool not cheap but is a waterless coolant. However this is designed for Classic's and Vintage vehicles.

Interestingly there is a pre flush prep product to remove all the water from your engine/rad. The product is £53.29 per 5 litres...................however never boiling and no corrosion MUST be worth something? Anyone using it I wonder?

www.evanscooling.uk.com

Benefits

No Water - No Overheating

Classic Cool 180 has a boiling point of 180°C and will not boilover.

No Water - No Corrosion

Water contains oxygen, oxygen allows corrosion. Classic Cool 180 eliminates corrosion.

No Water - No Pressure

Classic Cool 180 allows your cooling system to run at a lower pressure, reducing the strain on engine components.

No Water - No Liner Pitting

Classic Cool 180 generates significantly less pitting when compared with all water based coolants.

No Water - More BHP

Classic Cool 180 eliminates premature detonation associated with overheating.

Related Products

Prep FluidBefore installing Evans waterless coolants we recommend this hygroscopic engine flush to absorb residual water from your cooling system. Prep Fluid

Hi Shezbo,

you'll find rather more information on the parent company's USA website.

Interesting stuff propylene glycol, a non-aqueous emulsion that pops up in all sorts of products, and has been around for quite a long time. It is hygroscopic, and it is prone to degrade in contact with metals, so the $64000 dollar question might be how effective is the inhibitor pack ? And quite why the concern with removing all water from the cooling system ?

The late Dr Mike Bingley had a degree of interest in the stuff years ago, the main problem at the time as I remember was achieving an appropriate cocktail of inhibiting additives - to protect the assortment of metals found in older, as opposed to current production, engines.

The product on offer certainly isn't cheap for a fairly common industrial commodity, and probably a good deal more costly than the various industrial heat transfer solutions which are propylene glycol based. The claims of such extraordinary longevity don't seem to be mirrored in the marketing of industrial propylene glycol . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Shezbo. I'm sceptical.

Thermal conductivity of propylene glycol is about 4-fold less than water:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-liquids-d_1260.html

So IMHO their claim that pg reduces detonation and so increases power needs more substantial evidence. The reverse might be expected.

PG is used in some rooftop solar water heaters where the higher boiling point ensures the tubes dont explode in the event of pump failure. It might be that this higher bp improves heat transfer from combustion chambers if localised boiling is occurring around old corroded waterways.

Peter

The thermal conductivity of propylene glycol is a good deal less than that of ethylene glycol, the boiling point of PG is also slightly lower than that of EG. The freezing point of PG is, in contrast, much lower than that of EG.

Much seems to be made of the potential for localised boiling of engine coolant. I'm not convinced that is necessarily much of an issue, if any, in the average road engine - always assuming of course that the engine itself and its cooling system is in good order and to the vehicle manufacturer's original specification. Competition engines might be another matter, the greater the power output the more heat is also generated.

As a case in point, our various Rover V8 engines. The standard TR8 cooling system copes perfectly well with 150bhp. Increase that by 60% as with KEH and a certain amount of tweaking is required - larger rad, uprated pump, lower opening point thermostat, and a healthy dose of EG. The Drag Car has more than triple standard output, bigger rad again with a thumping great electric water pump and no 'stat to obstruct water flow, and more EG in the coolant.

Just where the lower thermal conductivity of PG fits in I'm not sure, Bingley was convinced that it was likely that the supposed benefits would be outweighed by reduced conductivity . . . . and that the real applications for PG lay not in automotive engines but in thermal transfer systems potentially subject to extremely low temperatures - ie EG would freeze, PG would not.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec, didn't the late Dr Bingley endorse 4Life coolant (and not, I believe for commercial reasons) and run it in his own TR6? I vaguely recall seeing an item on this in TrAction from him some years before he died. Having met him at Stafford in 1995 and found him to be very congenial and (to a layman such as me) fascinating on the subject of lead substitutes in petrol, I remember thinking that this would eventually be the way I would go when I get around to thoroughly descaling & cleaning out the cooling system in my own car.

Hi David,

yes indeed, Mike was very much in favour of 4Life - and not for any commercial reason. It does seem to be pretty good stuff, I haven't heard of any disasters resulting from its use, and it does seem to do what it says on the tin.

PG as marketed by Evans is a different product. Bingers had an interest in propylene glycol as a result of some project years previously, an industrial application for PG, nothing to do with cars.

Cheers,

Alec

I am most grateful for the information, Alec. Although I only met him once, I vividly recall the late Doctor. He struck me then as a genuine polymath and it is nice to hear of other matters in which he was interested. I envy you your friendship with him.

Hi David,

Dr. Mike was indeed a polymath. He had his grey cells in many pies. Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and shooting.

His wife is/was a very good markswoman.

He had so much in his head he had to let it out. If anybody showed interested in a subject they were captured (sometimes for hours).

At his funeral a couple of years ago he had friends from many interesting areas.

A very clever chap.

Roger