Under Bonnet colour

This is a question I am sure I already know the answer to, but then again I am ready to be surprised. My TR4 is a USA import and I am in the process of rebuilding it ( as usual started off as a tidy up). My question is this, on almost every USA import I have seen the engine bay is painted black. Was this standard Triumph practice ( no pun intended) or is it a case of mass hypnotism of american enthusiasts by a paint company with loads of black paint left over from model T ford production ?

Cheers

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan

All engine bays were painted body colour - without exception as far as I am aware.

Black is usually done to avoid expensive engine bay prep at a respray. Satin is often used as this hides loads of rough things and looks very presentable - so much so that Rover for example did this on the P6!

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

Thought as much but it is not mentioned in any book that I have access to and the Americans get up to some funny stuff sometimes. Usually clever funny stuff where cars are concerned.

Cheers

Alan