Invisible gearbox oil breather

Oil has been leaking from my TR4A gearbox in steadily larger quantities especially after a decent run with the oil nicely hot. When drained prior to removal, the gearbox had only 1.5 litres of oil left in it. Experiments showed that when taking a mounting bolt out, hot oil sprayed out. There were signs also of oil trying to push up the speedo cable suggesting that oil pressure when warm has nowhere to release. There's absolutely no sign of a breather though there is what looks like a blank. Am I mad to drill it out and put in a breather off a Jaguar g'box?

Early cars had a dipstick, which I guess worked as a breather too. (3 sychro gearboxes)

TR6 I know has a small hole drilled in the top cover to breath through (my TR has a Stag box with TR6 top cover and TR6 A type O/D) and from this I would guess that later TRs, as in non dipstick in the gearbox type, would all have a similar breather hole in the top cover.

My overdrive A type unit also have a breather screwed into it.

So yes, I think there ought to be a breather somewhere in your gearbox casing.

I stand by to be contradicted......

Cheers

Peter W

There is a small (2mm) hole in the front of the top casing ....... thats all thats needed. Turn it upside down and its the bit that the oil falls out of !

Just finished doing this and no oil. No dipstick either Peter. I starting to wonder if the g'box is a bitza this bitza that job and all minus a breather. :-/

The hole is probably blocked up with crud. Dipsticks were only fitted to the early gearboxes.

Stuart.