Well, I started the car yesterday and it was cold, (about -2). The engine rattled away like hell for about thirty seconds after start.

So, to cut a long story short the crank is on the bench and going to the machine shop in the morning for a regrind.

The mains are worn and I can feel a ridge in the centre where the bearing is slotted especially the rear main. The big end journals are scored as well.

So, while my Polish machinist seems to think he can get a "book" size to grind it down too, anyone know what the actual sizes of a 10 thou and maybe a 20 thou bearing should be?

The camshaft looks nearly perfect, but I'm thinking while it's all in bits I might fit an improved item. I'll be getting a tubular exhaust manifold and will probably polish and smooth the head a little. Any camshaft recommendations? I want a bit more grunt but the car will still be a road car and I want it to be drivable. Moss North America have an "Improved Cam" listed but it doesn't say much more than that.

Paul

The crank is 2.4795- 2.4790 and big ends 2.0866 - 2.0860 so grind 10 or 20 thou less.

I'd ask him to verify the cam bearings too and replace if there's any doubt or you'll end up with low oil pressure.

Crank running clearance is 1 - 2.5 thou and you don't want 2.5 if you can help it either. It'll make the engine rougher and again will affect oil pressure. Ash

Edited by Ashley James

Before he grinds it be sure you can get the bearings that will be needed for the proposed new size - Pain having to grind it a second time as the 0.020" only were available from your prefered stockist!

These are INCH sizes, be sure your machinist understands such quaint measurements.

Cheers

Peter W

Paul, cams I've used:-

well, standard , obviously ..... a bit dull!!

SAH 26 ... loads of torque and power from 1500 all the way up to 6000rpm (the crank is not too happy about the upper figure!!) a bit lumpy in heavy town traffic. (this was with 87mm Powermax pistons and liners)

Moss Road Cam 1104 ..... not so much torque or power as the SAH and runs out around 5300 but very much smoother in traffic and is giving a very good account of itself with the new 45 DCOEs strapped to the head. (this is with 87.2mm Omega Pistons and liners bored to suit)

I've got a Fast Road cam waiting in the cupboard along with some 89mm pistons and liners 'till the next time the engine is in bits so I'll let you know on that one.

Do get the crank and flywheel/clutch cover balanced while it's in the machine shop, you will really notice the difference.

Try to get Vandervell VP2 bearings if you can (this may be a lost cause now but you never know what may turn up), ACL and King offer a tri-metal bearing so these would be the next choice.

It's fun pulling these engines to bits, they are nice simple things, I can see you enjoy it as much as me!!

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob.

I really enjoyed myself pulling the engine out and then to bits. Like you said, easy as well. The crank was on the bench four hours after I started.

I've been looking for vandervell bearings and there are some on eBay. Otherwise I'll look for the others you describe.

Cheers for the advice on the cam. I'll have to look into that! I aleady have 87 mm liners fitted so I'm hoping with a decent exhaust manifold and a different cam I get some horses out of this thing. My tr3 was all standard and would leave this car in the dust!

Paul