Armstrong Rear Shock query

Hi All,

As things continue, and paint is drying on the chassis, i have turned my attention to the

Armstrong Shocks.

They were covered in waxoyl, and am cleaning them. This is a 6058 model and is different to the

one shown in the workshop manual.

I have removed the link as the rubbers were perished.

The difference being the one in the manula showsthe filler plug on the top of the unit, whereas the one i have

has no such filler on the top, but does have a bolt on the front.

So am i to assume that this bolt is the filler? What is the correct fill level?, would it be when the oil starts coming out

of ze hole.

I have raised the arm, and pushed it down, and am getting the same resistance, so does that mean

the unit is ok?

DSC01248.jpg

Any other tips.

Thanking You

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy,

I can't help you with your filler query because the new portal doesn't let me view pictures on my antiquated browser but if everything else with the shock absorber seems OK, Southern Carburettors sell an uprated valve that is a simple screw in replacement for the standard item.

Also, you can increase the effectiveness of the shock absorber with Revington's improved shock abosrber link that does away with the need for the rubber bush and makes them much more direct acting.

Rgds Ian

Guy, the front bolt is the filler plug and yours are the correct lever shockers for TR's. Seems like they still have good resistance so providing the seals aren't leaking, they should be OK.

Hold them upright in a vice and fill to the plug. Work them a few times to get any air bubbles out, then re-check the level.

The correct fluid is Castrol Hyspin AWH68 - basically motorbike fork fluid.

It's best to replace the mount bolts with allan keys, as it's near impossible to get a socket on the original bolt heads. The shocker fixing bolts must be really tight or they elongate the holes in the mount brackets.

Regards,

Viv.