Where were all the TR7's ?

I would love to see the figures for the number of TR7's visiting the IWE over recent years because it appears to me that numbers are dwindling. Is this because there are less left, or people are generally not using them as much, or owners also have older TR's and bring them to shows instead, or more worringly are we seeing a lack of enthusiasm from local groups towards the TR7 because of numbers?

Be interested to hear other TR7 owners thoughts because this year seemed like a very low number.

Edited by Paul Heritage2

not at all, i had intended to come up there, for the weekend having done tatton and billing weekends so far.

however due to to work commitments friday & saturday i couldn't make it work i could have only done sunday and then

i would have to have been away by very early afternoon. i am gutted as the iwe is a great event, and love to get out

in the car at every opportunity malvern was available to do and even then i had to leave by 3.30. Ther were at least 6 tr6 at malvern as well.

Edited by birminghamtr7

Hello Paul,

My 1978 TR7 FHC was there, I was in Hall 2 with a metalic plumb DHC 2 Litre and there were 2 TR8's in there too, both DHC's, Also another DHC which decided to leave sometime on the Saturday. There was a blue DHC for sale in the trade hall too. As you say though, not a huge number, maybe next year?

Cheers fixed-head.

I drove up from Dorchester on the Friday in my V8 convertible, 6 hours instead of the 2.5 to Malvern (unless the M5 floods).

Made into hall 2 on Saturday and parked it in front of the Meguiars stand.

But broke down on the hill approaching the gates on Sunday and couldn't get it going.

3 recovery wagons and 8 hours later I got home. Halved the fuel bill though !

Hi,

Was there in my 8 convertible.

It did the Harewood hillclimb twice on friday, my daughter kept it on the straight and narrow on her run but I managed to send it across the grass to much applause apparently. It also started to splutter and misfire towards the top.

On Sunday my daughter did the autosolo in it and posted some reasonable times. Two of 'our group' were deadly serious in the competition and duly won the 4 Cylinder and 8 Cylinder classes.

On the 120 mile journey home the misfire became much worse and eventually wouldn't rev above 1500 RPM. On emptying the fuel filter (new last year) I found that I had 'water injection' Again...... same happened last year. Eventually we managed to get it home after cleaning the filter out, but must admit its spoiling a really enjoyable car.

So, yes we went in our 'Wedge' and had a great time.

Anyone got a california spec (injection) tank in good condition and a cap that will fit the neck properly?

regards,

Chris (Sometime wedge pilot)

Anyone got a california spec (injection) tank in good condition

and a cap that will fit the neck properly?

Chris,

we're a bunch of fuelies on the TWOA mail list who are working on re-engineering the EFI tank

- so maybe there will be proper fi tanks available in the future. Well, at least the specification

for making them will be freely available...

Regarding the fuel cap:

First and foremost - make SURE your filler recess is fully functioning and draining any small, or huge,

amount of water slipping down there! This is done by fitting layer separating (stainless!!!) washers

on all three screws between each of the layers; filler pipe collar + body sheet metal + plastic 'bowl'.

This will ensure the drain function and also increase the maximum flow rate through this bottleneck...

Oh, and NEVER EVER use a venting fuel cap on a fuel injected (US) Wedge, locking or non-locking.

The only thing they do well is let water in...

Hi Odd,

Thanks for the info re. the injection tanks and caps.

I have tried to keep the recessed area around the neck area free draining but it is impossible to tell wether it is actually full of water when in use as the neck is 15 - 20 mm below the level of the surrounding bodywork.

I don't suppose I have to consider it any more as the water MUST be getting in around the filler as the tank is in reasonable (external) condition as proved when I took it out to clear the water last year. I also tried to get a proper sender unit for it whilst it was out but was told it was NLA. Seem to recall the original had a flow and return built in although I'm a little hazy on the detail.

In the short term I really need a new cap without a keyhole !!!! in the top. Any idea if it is a standard early / late cap or is it anything unique to US cars. Mine was built as a US (Calfornia Inj Man 3.5L) spec car in JAN 80 but wasn't registered by BL Cars Ltd until Aug 81. It was never exported. It must have been some sort of factory development or runabout car?

Thanks again,

Chris

Nice to hear from others with wedgies!

Being in the North East we're used to travelling nearly 5 hours each way, every year to the TR IWE in Malvern but still enjoy the weekend experience, just a shame that more didn't make the trip up this year to boost numbers.

We seem to be seeing a real decline in TR7's in recent years at both the IWE and other local events.

Looking forward to next year already, just need to decide which TR7 to take!

Paul, thanks for puttimg your rally car on the TRDC stand, we had 9 cars including a genuine TR7 Sprint, a very early 1976 FHC, ACG 97 the oldest UK production car still on the road and a superb standard spec convertible. Your rally car was a great addition, meant we had almost one of everything. We also had my newly rebuilt Coca Cola car as featured in the current issue of Triumph World.