Wheel cylinder spring

I am in the process of replacing the seals in the Girling rear wheel cylinders of my 4A (LHD,Solid Axle). Cylinder contains just the seal and piston, but in my parts manual it shows a spring.

1. I've either not got a spring when there should be one, or the inclusion of a spring was changed at some stage for some reason.

Anyone?

Cheers,

Roger

Roger

Should have a spring !! Needed for the "return " back to rest part of the operation.

Apologies but I'll ask the daft question, as my father always taught me,

the spring is not still stuck in the cylinder is it ?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks, spring defintely absent. I have just managed to find a drawing of a 4's set up and - no spring shown! Just about to pull off the other cylinder to see if that has a spring or not.

Cheers,

Roger

No spring in the cylinder, thats why you have ruddy great springs on the shoes ;) I have all of my solid axle 4a back brakes in bits now so can say that for certain :ph34r: .

Stuart.

Just looking at the 4A parts list diagram again and I realise that the spring inside the cylinder actually provides force in the opposite direction to the brake shoe springs! My thinking here is that its purpose may be either to 'cushion' the return force of the piston so it wont strike the back end of the wheel cylinder or, it may be there to keep the seal away from blocking the fluid inlets whilst in the fully back position.

Anyway, it must have worked ok before - so I think I'll just bung on a new seal and see what happens.

Cheers,

Roger