PI fuel sistem

Good trip to all

That's is what I aiming for :)

After full cleaning , pump overhaul, the TR still shows uneven and erratic fuel suply !

The pump " sings" regulary but sundendly without A warning or a known cause/situation there comes the embarassing stops, caugft, bumps, and Then sundendly, as smooths as ever.

No voltage variation, the pump noise changes to the typical hot tune! But she is cold !

I'm getting desperate! After all these previous actions.

Tank clean

New filter

Pump overhaul (she was in a very good condition)

Engine correctly tuned, clean spark plugs

Mpg average 25

Question:

PRV can cause erratic supply ? Mean get stuck once in a while?

Amps feed to the pump?

Air bubbles find their way in? Some leaking pipe/tube?

Need some help, hints where to look, check list

Thank you all for the magnificent forum

The PRV has a small gauze filter in it check that its clean, could be an issue. Also the little valve mechanism can stick again worth a strip down and clean. Its should be relativley easy to remove and check, hope that helps

Robin

Hi

Just this morning tried to take a ride and again very erratic, some backfire (and neigbours complain) and there she goes!

I' check the PRV next thing, but could it also be variations on the amps supplies?even with no perceptible voltage drop?

The pump is still Lucas ! When I open it there were no signs of anomalous ware or marks, or slack, looked fairly new, on the pump itself, so I guess it should be quite new.I replaced the brushes and rubbers with the ones provided on a kit from Moss, and cleaned every thing

Only a very dirty upper part, lot's or carbon powder from the bruches..

The top of the rotor cover does get hot, even with the adjusting screw quite loose.

A last idea, is this the kind of "beaviour" that you expect when air gets into the fuel system ?

Thanks Robin and John

"No voltage variation"

At a general voltsmeter on the dash?

What's the volts at the pump?

Can you run a temporary voltmeter/multimeter to it and observe changes when you drive?

Many owners run a thick, 20+ Amp wire directly from the battery or ignition switch, via an impact cut-off, to a relay at the pump. The existing pump wire switches the relay, to ensure that the pump supply is not enfeebled by old wiring and connectors.

Then, can you check the fuel pressure when it falters? I had a similar problem that was due to intermittently dropping fuel pressure, caused by a partly blocked filter.

JOhn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin

Believe me!sometimes it realy gets mind blowing !

The problem was a loose nut on the base plate of the distributor, contact "mooving", and to further help me, a broken conection to the coil !

Plain luck I think, to find these greemlins! but that's all about classics isnt'it ?

How can I repair the damage to Miss confidence?

Thank for suport