TR4 Girling axle inner oil seals

Tidying the rear axle and thought I would replace the inner oil seals - can anyone advise on how to get the old oil seal out! - do do need a special tool?.

Also looked at the grease nipples and thought I would renew again 1no comes out ok the other is fast in but also "rounded" so I can't get a socket on it - any ideas on how to remove it?

Any help would be appreciated

Phil

Phil,

Just been over this pocess with mine. The grease nipples are a combination of mole grips and penetrating fluid - just accept they are going to need to be replaced as they're cheap. - It's also worth noting that the grease nipples will probably have to be removed before the seals anyway as I found that one of mine protruded into the axle cavity far enough to just obstruct the removal of the seal.

The seals are a different matter - in theory you should be able to 'hook' them out the end of the tube, in my case I think they were the originals and they wouldn't budge so I made up a simple extraction tool consisting of a tablet of 6mm steel with a hole in the centre and a nut welded over the hole. The tablet was put inside the seal and carefully stood up behind it. I then screwed a threaded rod into it, another piece of gash steel over the face of the tube and tightened a nut on the end of the threaded rod to gently drift the old seal out.

If it helps I can put up some pictures later which will probably make more sense!

John

Nice bit of "engineering your way out of trouble" there John. ;)

Stuart.

Good result Phil

Thanks Stuart I seem to be gaining a small collection of home made tools to overcome problems...the large piece of metal on the outside of the tube is actually one I made to pull the wet liners out the block!

cheers

John