Battery drain with ignition off

My TR6 has a lot of toys, most of which are off when the ignition is off but the radio at least needs power to maintain its configuration. I'm measuring 8ma current with the ignition off. Is that what I should expect for a powered off radio or do I need to go looking for other gadgets that might be draining the battery ?

Stan

8mA is next to nothing. You'd expect something to be flowing to keep the radio memory and any alarm system etc to drawn current.

Last check mine was approx 150mA and thats a radio + alarm + no doubt a few dodgy earths.

Cheers

Andrew

My TR6 has a lot of toys, most of which are off when the ignition is off but the radio at least needs power to maintain its configuration. I'm measuring 8ma current with the ignition off. Is that what I should expect for a powered off radio or do I need to go looking for other gadgets that might be draining the battery ?

Stan

8mA is next to nothing. You'd expect something to be flowing to keep the radio memory and any alarm system etc to drawn current.

Last check mine was approx 150mA and thats a radio + alarm + no doubt a few dodgy earths.

Cheers

Andrew

Cool, thanks Andrew. The TR6 was in a trailer all winter and I didnt have time to pull the battery before it got buried in snow so the battery was pretty much fully discharged by April. I got it started with a booster and have run it for a few miles but the battery only had enough oomph to give me one shot at starting before it pooped out. A couple of days ago I left it overnight on a 2amp charger and it seems happier. I checked the current draw just to see if I had some other problem that was draining the battery but it sounds like 8ma is normal and if the battery is going flat after only a few days it is probably time to replace it.

Stan

Stan,

Lead Acid batteries do not like being totally flat - it will kill them very quickly. NiCad's and other such things are happy in these lower nether regions and even reversed but not our old car batts.

It the radio standby circuit is giving it problems in a short time then it's time for a new one.

Roger