chassis protection

My car is pretty original and has never had the body off the chassis. The underneath is solid but plenty of flaky stuff. I am debating whether to clean off- etch prime and top coat or just clean off and waxoyl. I could do both of course. Just thought I'd canvass opinion before I go ahead

This thought is just what I am debating at the moment.

I'm wondering wether to scrape everything off, check for cracks, do any welding, then waxoyl all over.

Please if you have tried a body on job, forward us the word sof wisdom.

Also, still looking for a good boot lid and a screen surround for a 4A

Thanks

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard stories of people who were busy days and days removing this stuff, perhaps there is no easy or quick way to do it.

Hi there,

my favorite is the "body-off", and up to know (still working on my first project) i think i was right.

There are too many corners you cant reach if the body is still on the frame.

There was nearly no damage on the upper side of the frame, but the diagonal struts from the front turrets were rotten and had to be replaced.

All areas that are "automatically oiled" were without corrosion. So this implies, that waxoiling should be good to preserve the car. And leads to the conclusion, that the MOT requirements (or in my case the german TUV) for a "dry" car is a disadvantge regarding its life cycle (and an advantage for the industry).

Good luck  :)

I am in the middle of restoring a Californian import and I had the same decision to make. The undersde & chassis was thick with waxoil and looked well preserved and a pity to disturb it. I decided to do a proper job and took the body off, spent days scrapping the waxoil off the chassis members sufficient to take a repaint. I am now pleased I did because I exposed a nasty stress fracture in the weld at the end of the cross brace between the two front suspension turrets.

The moral is, on the face of it the chassis looked good until then - so your decision is what kind of a job do you want to do.

Cheers

Phil

interesting replies. I have finally made my mind up. I am going to clean it all back as far as I can with body on then use etch primer and por 15 topcoat from frost followed by waxoyl inside sections and over the top of everything I can reach using a compressor