Distributor's installation

Hi Folks:

I took out my TR3A’s distributor for repair in the winter. Unfortunately, since the disconnect, the engine has been turned around a few times without the distributor being in the car. Since when installing the distributor, there is a straight chuck (see attached figure) that has to be installed in the female chuck on the engine side, I believe it should matter what the direction of that chuck is at the time of installation.

I have no problem with installing the distributor onto its place; however, since most instructions state that when installing a distributor, one should position the distributor’s rotor’s tip tip toward the first cylinder, and then place the distributor in its place, I have a dilemma. My dilemma is that I can turn the engine such that when I place the distributor in its place, its pointer points toward the 1st cylinder; however, there would be a 50-50 chance that it would not actually point to the 1st cylinder’s direction, since the base (engine side’s) chuck could be at 180 degree on the opposite direction of what it supposed to have been, and yet the pointer would, in such a case, still point toward the 1st cylinder (did I manage to confuse you all?!).

So, under the circumstance, what is your suggestion?

Regards,

Farid

post-9686-0-20902500-1303734683_thumb.png

post-9686-0-20902500-1303734683_thumb.png

Farid

Take the rocker cover off and turn the engine till cylinder 1 is at TDC. If the exhaust is just closing and the inlet just opening, turn the angine through 360 degrees so it's at TDC on the firing stroke. Now put the distributor in with the rotor arm pointing at no 1 cycling of the distributor cap and with the points about to open.

Ash