This has no doubt been asked before . Can any one tell me whether the black rear panel should be satin / gloss / or matt and should the windscreen frame be the same ?

I have now ordered loads of signal red celly - painting starts imminently  :D

Scotty,

Have just checked mine, it is satin. That is not to say that mine is correct as I do recall seeing gloss as well. My preference and the majority of other TR 6 owners is satin.

Scotty

Where did you get your celly?  I was quite surprised recently at Strathclyde Paint, I went to get some and they had to order it specially whereas a couple of years ago they kept it on the shelf, might be a message there for people thinking of spraying it in the future.

Ron

Hi Ron , I have ordered mine through a contact in Newcastle and am getting it at the weekend at the car show in Moffat ,hopefully.

I think he gets his through Brown Bros. There is one of those stores next to Glasgow airport but I havent tried them .

For info it appears celly will no longer be produced from @ 2007 leaving 2 pack or enamel as the only options .

I have oredered enough so that if I get a knock in the future I will hopefully be able to repair it.

Gloss black was not a feature of TR6 rear ends when new, and nor was matt black. Satin Black is the nearest description, BUT the exact shade/texture varied between 1969-75.

I actually used matt black paint finished with a "T" cut polish. I found this gives a fairly accurate match to the original satin black finish on my 71 TR6.

Alec is right when saying that satin black is the nearest description as on my TR6 the rear panel was'nt black at all.

When I tried ,in 75, to overpaint some scratches I bought a small pot of satin black, but when I applied it did not match at all, to my great surprise there was a clear shade of grey in the original paint. Very strange, as it looked black to me before I compared it with real black :(

Jean

Sounds like Triumph just used what was lying around !

Jean you say yours did not have a black rear panel , I have seen others just painted body colour - was this an option or a factory moment of forgetfulness?

Can any one confirm that the windscreen frame is the same "almost satiny black"?

Scotty, what I meant is the rear panel was not black, the real dark black you see on resprayed cars. The panel was very dark satin grey, in fact so dark that you could call it black.

You only see the difference when comparing it with pure black. If you come to the International you can see what I mean   :D

As far as I know only the very early TR6 s had a body colour windsreen frame, from 70 onwards they were the same as the rear panel.

Some people nowadays have the rear panel painted in a contrasting shade what looks good in certain cases, yes black on dark blue or dark green car is not a great help in underlining the rear bodyshape :(

Jean

hi all ,thanks for your replies , just back from a weekend show in Moffat with the club , I had a good look at the 6s there and there were just as many shades of black . I will look for one that suits me . Any way , I got the paint , will borrow the compressor later in the week , so will hopefully have it sprayed before I head south th Malvern next month . Cant wait. :D