Fitting an Overdrive Gearbox

Hi guys, i need your help !

My car doesnt have overdrive and since i want to use it for longer distances I have allways planned to fit one, next year really.

A J type box and overdrive, reconditioned, has come up for sale so I am wondering if i should buy it ?

My question is : How difficult is it to fit a J type gearbox/overdrive combo to a 71 car that would have had an A type originally.

My car had a reconditioned gearbox about 5 years ago, its fine but does not have overdrive.

So would i be better sticking with the A type box and adding Overdrive, or is the J type an easy fit, for a garage to do not myself !

Interestingly my car has the relays and at least some of the wiring for overdrive, so i wonder if it had one originally but a PO removed it at restoration time??

Expert help appreciated greatly !

Steve

Hi

If the box and overdrive seem cheap dont touch it with a barge pool learnt from my own experiance with the tr4 but if you are gonna buy is it the one off ebay?

many thanks

chris

p.s check and check again keep your eyes wide open. B)

Neil, there is no problem with an J type in a CP car, I had one in my 6 for several years, worked to full satisfaction :) The only thing I did not like were the brackets involved to fit it to the early chassis <_< At the time when I was offered a good A type o/d, I had this one fitted to my original box.

To come back to the changeover it's not a direct fit and it will require some modifications. The same goes when you fit an o/d to a non o/d box. I left this to the experts, just to be on the safe side :)

Neil, there is no problem with an J type in a CP car, I had one in my 6 for several years, worked to full satisfaction :) The only thing I did not like were the brackets involved to fit it to the early chassis <_< At the time when I was offered a good A type o/d, I had this one fitted to my original box.

To come back to the changeover it's not a direct fit and it will require some modifications. The same goes when you fit an o/d to a non o/d box. I left this to the experts, just to be on the safe side :)

Jean, yes right in what you say ;) fitted a few over the years :( my point was why fit a overdrive that is not correct for the car?and imho is not as strong, and before anybody ask's the J type will slip if wired for 2nd gear uprated or not

...the J type will slip if wired for 2nd gear uprated or not

I think it depends how it's driven. Mine's been wired for 2nd since 1978 and works fine. But I wouldn't use it at high throttle.

Ivor