Worn distributor shaft and/or loose key

I have a bothersome engine rattle at low rpm in my TR-2, which I notice when shifting from 2nd to 3rd charging up a hill, or sometimes when idling. Roger Williams has a very good book, "How to Restore Triumph TR2/3", which mentions that this symptom is oftentimes a loose key in the distributor shaft, or a worn shaft. He also says that the shaft is not generally available. Does anyone know if a quality new shaft can be obtained, or what to do with a loose key or worn shaft to bring it up to snuff? Many Thanks.

Dan

I have a bothersome engine rattle at low rpm in my TR-2, which I notice when shifting from 2nd to 3rd charging up a hill, or sometimes when idling. Roger Williams has a very good book, "How to Restore Triumph TR2/3", which mentions that this symptom is oftentimes a loose key in the distributor shaft, or a worn shaft. He also says that the shaft is not generally available. Does anyone know if a quality new shaft can be obtained, or what to do with a loose key or worn shaft to bring it up to snuff? Many Thanks.

Dan

Dan, I just checked the Moss US and Europe web sites and they both show this shaft and key as available. Have you called Moss to check ?. You probably want to narrow down the cause of the rattle before forking out the 60 GBP as there are other sources of engine rattle.

Stan

Dan, I just checked the Moss US and Europe web sites and they both show this shaft and key as available. Have you called Moss to check ?. You probably want to narrow down the cause of the rattle before forking out the 60 GBP as there are other sources of engine rattle.

Stan

I agree with Stan here. I remember reading that in Roger's book, so I checked carefully and found no distributor shaft issue (maybe a little wear on the oil pump drive tab) in either of the two old engines I have apart here now. Not to say Roger is wrong but only that you shouldn't assume that's the cause of the noise. I still use the long screwdriver as a stethoscope.

Tom

Eurika! Had the shop press in a new key into the shaft, and the low rpm rattle is gone! I have been living with the rattle for years thinking I was living on borrowed time until a major rebuild. Nothing like turning back the hands of time. Must give props to Roger WIlliams, even though some parts of his book are better than others.

Dan

Eurika! Had the shop press in a new key into the shaft, and the low rpm rattle is gone! I have been living with the rattle for years thinking I was living on borrowed time until a major rebuild. Nothing like turning back the hands of time. Must give props to Roger WIlliams, even though some parts of his book are better than others.

Dan

Well done Dan, a relatively easy fix for a change and easier than replacing the little end bushes which would have been my other choice..

Stan

Guest colinTR2

Dan and all

Exactly the same with my TR2 distributor, recent MOT the guy noticed a low rev rattle and we initially thought "small end". But then out came his expensive stethoscope and he decided it was/is the distributor. Sure enough when I took it out there is a lot of play there.

All I have done so far is to borrow a distributor which has no play in it. Our UK expert is The Distributor Doctor, and he has a 10 week waiting list. I now need to put the loaned one in and get the car running again.

I shall now be checking the key!!

Colin

Guest colinTR2

Dan and all

Exactly the same with my TR2 distributor, recent MOT the guy noticed a low rev rattle and we initially thought "small end". But then out came his expensive stethoscope and he decided it was/is the distributor. Sure enough when I took it out there is a lot of play there.

All I have done so far is to borrow a distributor which has no play in it. Our UK expert is The Distributor Doctor, and he has a 10 week waiting list. I now need to put the loaned one in and get the car running again.

I shall now be checking the key!!

Colin