Steering column not earthing

The horn had stopped working on the car so I took the steering wheel off and the wire had come off the brass ring, so I thought good cured.

However I then checked that it would work by touching a wire from the ring to the column and no horn! I worked my way down the column touching it to earth and the horn worked each time right to the bottom, so I assume the rack itself (replaced last year) isn't earthing to the brackets. I have now attached an earth wire from the rack to the bracket and the horn is working again.

I am sure the horn worked when I first fitted the rack, so what could have happened and is there a better way of making the earth?

Pete R

I definitely think that fitting an earthing wire to your column is the right way to go. Relying on the rack to make earthing contact as it is painted is not too reliable, and earthing faults seem to account for a major number of the problems I have encountered. I definitely find that using a belt and braces approach and putting in a strap works best.

I've just been getting my electrics up and working. All was fine until last night when the headlights started dimming, then bang and a puff of smoke from an earth connection. Fitted a new earth section and it all works really well. Modern cars don't give you a bang and a puff of smoke to help you locate an earth fault!

Peter

Your fix has done the job, as you know there three earth straps, two at the flexible coupling joints and the third from the rack to the chassis

( See Moss catalogue ).You can always replace with a new earth strap but if your fix works why bother.

Bob