Overdrive rebuild (A-type)

I am in need of some good advice. I am rebuilding my overdrive (A-type), and have now finished the internal repairs (a broken pin on the sliding clutch member and a missing circlip where the cone clutch is pressed into the bearing in the sliding member).

But now to my question.

In my overdrive the planet gear is resting directly on the uni-directional clutch, that means there are no washers between the uni-directional clutch and the planet carrier, and it also means (i.m.o), that the sun wheel has too much end-float.

Moss and Rimmer catalouge shows no washers there, but in the original Laycock-manual there are three washers, two bronce-washers and one steel washer.

Any advice would be apriaciated.

Tage

Hi Tage,

I'm in the process of rebuilding mine at the moment too....... there should be a bronze thrust washer behind the uni-directional clutch, 500613A should be 0.122 minimum(this was well worn on mine...missing on yours?) there is another one inside the planet gears, that is usually tightly fixed (505548)? then on top of the sun wheel there is another bronze washer 500610, and then a steel thrust washer to adjust the overall end float 500588(A to G)(should be about 10thou....not as published in some manuals). If you have the accumulator piston assembly removed there is access through there to get a feeler gauge into place between the top washers on the sungear. If you can use the mainshaft (or dummy)it's quite straightforward.

I'm having fun, but struggled for ages replacing the piston rings in the accumulator....eventually got them fitted, dropped the spring in the housing to check and promptly popped the piston out again.....double dratt.

john

Edited by johnny250

Very fine guide here (2nd of two parts)

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/TransRebuild/OverDriveA02.pdf

and another (3rd of 5 parts)

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD3/AOD3.htm

Cheers

Nick

Yes that's what i've been using Nick, along with guidance from Pete Cox, however the Buckeye guide disagrees with the VTR guide on the amount of end float.... OD Spares recommends 10thou as does VTR. They both have a convoluted way of measuring it, that is much simpler if the accumulator housing is clear allowing feeler gauge access.

john

Hi all

Thanks for your reply. I can inform you, that I have been convinced, that there

are no washers between the uni-directional clutch and the planet-carrier. So I am

ready to go forward with the assembly of the OD and that includes choosing the right

washer to adjust the end-float of the sun-gear. Sun is shining in DK and the temperature

is rising, so can´t wait to have the first drive 2011 in the 6, hopefully with a perfect

working OD.

Regards

Tage