Maple Leaf Winter Rally (MLWR)

All,

Just a quick heads-up on the best, in my opinion, rally of the year in Ontario, Canada.

This takes place overnight in some of the most remote areas of northern, southern Ontario (i.e. about 3 hours north of Toronto). It's almost all on gravel roads which will be well snow-covered and it runs all night - first car heads out at 10pm and finishes around 7am on Sunday.

Current weather forecast whows an overnight low of -11 Celcius.

We had a whole load of fun in the TR4 last year, although it wasn't as snowy as we expect it to be this weekend. I'll bring news after the event.

In the meantime, here a taster of the roads we'll be using - albeit in daylight...

There are some videos from last year posted too. Anyone else from Ontario want to come out and play????? (And yes, almost all of the opposition will have 4-wheel-drive.)

Cheers!

Tim

Tim, you are my hero!

I wouldn't like to drive those roads in those conditions in my Discovery with all it's fancy electronic traction control aids, let alone at speed in a 60's TR4.....and in the pitch dark! I'd soon find myself jammed between two trees!

I've done stage rallies in these conditions (we rarely get much snow in the UK but it seems it's coming back...), especially one I remember years ago in a Volvo Amazon (with 15" Gislaved snow tyres)and another in a Vauxhall Magnum: we put half a bag of sand in each rear corner of the boot and it improved the traction enormously. I'm sure you know all these trick living in Canada! Both cars had the advantage of an LSD as well.

But at least we had the sense to run in daylight back then!!!

Joking apart, I wish you the best of luck as always, and look forward to your report after the rally.

My TR4 has a set of Vredestein Snowtrac tyres which it came with, and I use them for road rallies. Apparently they are very good in snow although they don't look at all 'knobbly'. They are difficult to source in the UK and I get them from Germany; I've just bought a set of Vred' Quatrac 3 four season tyres for the Mk 1 2000 and they look quite chunky in comparison.. What do you use?

Nigel

Yes, it will be entertaining - if we can keep it out of the ditches!

Snow tyres in standard TR4 sizes are hard to come by and I use Vredstein Snow+ - you can kinda see them in this photo:

http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/xx157/umbradog/?action=view&current=PreRallyJune2010.jpg

They are pretty reasonable on snow, even though they're rather like a gravel tyre. They could take studs (not allowed on the rally) but don't have the multiple cuts/sipes that more modern snow tyres do. Frankly, they're bollocks on ice so if it's all cold, dry snow we should be ok - polished ice and we'll struggle for pace.

The low temp SHOULD help, but until we see the roads........

Great stuff Tim

Just get the right tyres - we ran in snow and low temps on LEJOG this year (-20 at one ppoints) and my Dunlops just froze like plastic ...... the Vreds are better, but get the greasiest low temp versions or you will have no grip at all !

Good luck

Tony