TR4 Info/Conumdrum

Hi Folks,

last year I bought a TR4. 1962. Tax'd MOT'd but tatty. So I decided to strip it down and sort out a few things.

The first queries were the tunnel mounted handbrake, blacked out dash, re-positioned main/dip switch, very odd carb/pedal linkage, braced B posts, drivers door arm rest.

The original engine was CT6327 O as per the current V5. This is 2138cc (86mm pots). I have this engine in the garage.

However in 1977 the engine was replaced (broken crank)with factory replacement TSA712FRE (not on the V5).

Having got the head off (oh what fun that was) I find 83mm pots so is 1991cc - ummm.

My question is -

1. Do I keep the replacement engine in the car as is. OR convert this to 86mm pots (2138cc)

2. Use the bits from the TSA replacement engine and rebuild the original (86mm pots etc).

3. Has the TSA replacement engine any intrinsic historic value etc.

The car was originaly bought in 1962 by Dennis Godwin (owned till 2000) and mod'd by him.

Any help on the above or info on the car would be appreciated. Reg 8601 UR

Roger

Hi Folks,

last year I bought a TR4. 1962. Tax'd MOT'd but tatty. So I decided to strip it down and sort out a few things.

The first queries were the tunnel mounted handbrake, blacked out dash, re-positioned main/dip switch, very odd carb/pedal linkage, braced B posts, drivers door arm rest.

The original engine was CT6327 O as per the current V5. This is 2138cc (86mm pots). I have this engine in the garage.

However in 1977 the engine was replaced (broken crank)with factory replacement TSA712FRE (not on the V5).

Having got the head off (oh what fun that was) I find 83mm pots so is 1991cc - ummm.

My question is -

1. Do I keep the replacement engine in the car as is. OR convert this to 86mm pots (2138cc)

2. Use the bits from the TSA replacement engine and rebuild the original (86mm pots etc).

3. Has the TSA replacement engine any intrinsic historic value etc.

The car was originaly bought in 1962 by Dennis Godwin (owned till 2000) and mod'd by him.

Any help on the above or info on the car would be appreciated. Reg 8601 UR

Roger

Personally, I would rebuild the original engine, CT6327 E with 86mm pistons & liners.

Note - the 'O' suffix means overdrive so the number you have quoted is a chassis

number not an engine number. A typo? Engine numbers have a 'E' at the end.

The TSA number does not have any value as such, only as a 'matching number' if it's

shown in the log book.

Presumably this would mean pinching the crankshaft from the TSA engine, but I think

you would want to know the state of the crankshaft anyway. Ideal opportunity to have

it checked and balanced.

AlanR

Hi Dave/Alan,

thanks for your replies. They coincide with my thoughts. I didn't want to undo/damage anything that had any historic significance.

Yes it was the chassis number with overdrive (O)- I think I added that just to confuse.

I hope the crank in the TSA engine is in good order. I don't need a third broken crank (the car came with two spare engines. The original engine crank was in two halves and the other, a TR4A engine, has a beautiful crack running around #4 big-end journal)

Roger