Hi All

Over the last few months my 4a has been suffering water loss, to the point where I need to put 2 pints in after 20 or so miles. This has recently been acompanied with vapour comming from the exhausts after the engine is turned off.

On removing the cylinder head, the gasket prooved to be sound, or at least it was! However I discovered what I can describe as a crater, about 1/4 inch diameter, on top of the square throat, of no 2 exhaust port, about an inch inside.

By blanking the thermostat housing hole, and the heater valve, and inverting the head I filled the water jacket with white spirit. Sure enough spirit seaped though this crater to leak out of the exhaust port

Thoughts are, is this a casting flaw, which I can fill with cast weld, (its close enough to the outside to be able to get a rod to it)  or is it meant to be there, maybe a fusible plug, or something which has fell out ?

Your suggestions would be appreciated  :D

Regards

Dale

Nice examination! I think it is a casting flaw.

Thanks for your reply Marvmul, dosn't look like there are many engine experts out there. On closer examination the head has several cracks in it, and no one thinks much can be done with it   :(  suppose I'l have to start looking for a replacement

Regards

Dale

TR4tony (his ebay identity) has some for sale-bit steep though, he does post on this forum, but I can't recall his id here.

I posted a similiar wanted thread a few weeks ago, I think he may have posted a reply.

If you struggle to contact him, let me know, I'll search my emails.

Rob.

Cookies cause troubles......

I do have a very nice head - which I want £350 for as im not wildly keen to part with it. You will see why when you start looking for one .... good heads are hard to get. Id love to find another one for a couple of hundred quid as Id sit on it until I need it. There are problems with the repro alloy heads - I dont have direct experience but its all to do with differential cooling and the casting shapes. Tred carefully whatever you do.

My pal Walter Petchey has a couple of engines which he is selling at £450 to £500 each complete (which seems good value for the whole lump). He is on 01376 342724 or wpetchey@yahoo.co.uk

Hope this is helpful - good luck anyway

Regards

Tony (Sheach) Tr4tony