Wiper Motor

Hi,

I have just stripped two 1965 DR3A(75568A) wiper motors with identical part Nos. I have found that the connecting bar in each gearbox has a different length, one is 77mm between centres and the other is 72mm.

Does anybody know which is the correct length and will it make any difference to the operation? I think the movement is dictated by the large gearwheel, but I could be wrong.

Both motors have 120 deg. gearwheels in them, again is this correct, as I have a 110 deg. wheel as a spare.

Thanks for any help.

Graeme

WiperMotor_005a-2048.jpg

Edited by graeme

Hi Graeme,

The various Lucas Parts Catalogues list the DR3A 75568 as being the two speed wiper motor fitted to all TR4A's and TR5's.

The 120 degree gear is also the correct part.

They show a part number of 745913 for the connecting rod - but no dimensions shown.

I have a NOS DR3A 75456, which is the single speed motor for late TR4's - the Lucas Catalogues also shown it as having the 745913 connecting rod.

So I will dig it out and strip it to measure the rod fitted.

Regards, Richard

Hi Graeme,

Found and checked.

The connecting rod from the NOS TR4 wiper motor measures 70mm - centre of pivot to centre of pivot.

As another check the overall length of the connecting rod plate is 85mm.

Hope this helps.

Presumably if the longer connecting rod is used it will move the wiper rack further in each direction and thus increase the sweep of the blades over the screen.

Regards, Richard